Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GirlFriends And Kitesurfing - Can they Co Exist ?

Forum for kitesurfers
EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:50 pm

OK, last nights reaction to my proposal to my beloved, to go on a weeks tour of el medano in december has prompted me to write this.

What is the score with GF's and kites ? Love or hate ?

how many of you suffer or benefit from GF's and kitesurfing - your experiences and opinions please ?

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:07 pm

Hi Edy,
Read How to get your hands on your own private kiterbabe.
phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2532&forum=1
Try teaching her to kite, with a very small kite on a nice sunny day in a light sea breeze on a tropical island, she'll get hooked and be hotter than you in no time.
Don't say I didn't warn ya.
OJ

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-10-23 18:39 ]</font>

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:09 pm

A couple that plays together, stays together. Find one who has kiting potential.

I met my wife Jacky, hang gliding. Next we windsurfed together, now we kite together.

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:19 pm

I try to keep my girl as far away from kitesurfing as I can. While she knows it's my passion, my love and my work, she doesn't express a whole lot of interest in it. Not to mention the fact that I wouldn't want ANYONE that I really care too much about being attached to a kitesurfing kite. I rest and ride more relaxed knowing that she is safe and secure on dry land. I imagine that if she was on the water with me, all I would get done is keeping an eye on here out of fear for her safety.

Prolly alot to what Dwight says tho about playing together. We play together alright, just not kitesurf. Kitesurfing is my refuge away from it ALL!

Johnny

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:44 pm

I actually got mine to start kiting, and now she's all like: we have to get on the water again asap. I love that shit! Makes the fun all the double.

Johnny: if you teach sensibly, I think the risk can be managed well. Take a beginner through the steps slowly and with a good safety system and it shouln't be a problem. Just try to avoid frustration and fear by helping launch initially, controlling the kite on land, etc. Then it went real smooth with my girlfriend...

Only problem is: girls are always cold :wink:

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:55 pm

I do become very stressed out at the beach sometimes. I don’t like to see my wife taking risks. She has already dislocated her shoulder kiting, and broke her arm hang gliding. She’s had 2 knee operations. I’ve had my share of injuries too, but I don’t care about me.

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:58 pm

On 2002-10-23 18:55, Dwight wrote:
I do become very stressed out at the beach sometimes. I don’t like to see my wife taking risks. She has already dislocated her shoulder kiting, and broke her arm hang gliding. She’s had 2 knee operations. I’ve had my share of injuries too, but I don’t care about me.
Sounds radical...
I would feel guilty if my girlfriend asks me if its ok to go out (because she can't judge it and relies on me) and then something happens. Bad feeling...

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:01 pm

Well, you should obviously start yer girl off on a bigger board, a much smaller kite (suitable for bodyweight), in really steady light wind and on a big empty beach.
Lots of patience is good too.
Then, as she is her own boss, it'll be her decision to leave the extreme stuff aside or not, although you can obviously give her advice.
Most girls are less reckless than us blokes anyway.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:13 pm

On 2002-10-23 18:58, jever98 wrote:
On 2002-10-23 18:55, Dwight wrote:
Sounds radical...
I would feel guilty if my girlfriend asks me if its ok to go out (because she can't judge it and relies on me) and then something happens. Bad feeling...
I was teaching my wife when she broke her arm hang gliding. I also help launch the kite when she dislocated her shoulder. Boy have I had some bad days. :sad:

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:21 pm

Re:
I was teaching my wife when she broke her arm hang gliding. I also help launch the kite when she dislocated her shoulder. Boy have I had some bad days. :sad:

Dwight, you obviously have a very adventurous girl on yer hands man and she couldn't be any safer than she is now with the man who obviously cares a lot about her, you in other words.
If you didn't hang glide or kite with her she'd do other crazy stuff like riding motorbikes fast or whatever.
I know it's easy to feel the weight of responsibility or even responsible sometimes especially if shit happens (been there, done that), but shit will happen anyway, this way Jacky has the best, most caring teacher/partner she could hope for in her adventures, someone who is gonna do everything he can to make sure she makes it safely back into his bed every night.
You're a lucky couple.
Jo

Return to “Kitesurfing”