Cool Kite Tip

Forum for kitesurfers
Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:56 pm

I just got this cool tip. Using the inward rear connection point on a kite can increase the depower range. I guess the drag from 30 meters of line can place enough pull on the back of the kite, that moving the connection forward nets one more degree in angle of attack reduction.

jever98
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jever98 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:59 pm

On my X2 10, I have been using both inner connection points in high winds (front and back). I guess that using the front one in the front and the front one in the back will extend the windrange even higher ?!

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:04 pm

Kite also turns slower and is less reactive to bar movements, if you rig it on the inner back pigtail which can be usefull if overpowered

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:10 pm

On 2002-10-23 18:59, jever98 wrote:
On my X2 10, I have been using both inner connection points in high winds (front and back). I guess that using the front one in the front and the front one in the back will extend the windrange even higher ?!
Correct!

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:47 pm

I noticed that the wind was blowing the slack out of my backlines on my 11.8 AB and keepen the mother powered up,I add to the rear pigs what a difference. (THE MOST USFULL TIP IS BE TO YOUR OWN JUDGE OF WHAT REALLY IS HAPPENING TO "YOUR KITE" AND TAKE CHARGE) no advice is better than be your own man. Unless of course your an idiot!

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:03 pm

"I just got this cool tip. Using the inward rear connection point on a kite can increase the depower range. I guess the drag from 30 meters of line can place enough pull on the back of the kite, that moving the connection forward nets one more degree in angle of attack reduction."

I think this is just an option. When the kite was designed, the lines and its drag are present. Moving to the forward attach point you will have more bar pressure and less responsiveness. What happend if you set your backs a little longer?

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:11 pm

What happend if you set your backs a little longer?
Nothing will be gained. What I am saying is, the line drag from the wind, is always putting weight on the back of the kite. This weight on the back can be reduced by using a more forward connection. This increases high wind range.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:18 pm

Hi Hernan,
re: What happend if you set your backs a little longer?
Changes the angle of attack like shortening the depower leader or attaching the fronts to a knot closer to the kite.
Don't think it increases the depower range but will mean the kite will be ok in a higher wind range, but will luff more in low wind

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:20 pm

Dwight, the back (innermost) connection point for the front and the forward (innermost) connection for the rear will give the most angle of attack change. Basically, the closer the line attachments, the more depower control available.

The further forward the rear attachment is moved also increases turning for the ARC kite, and may for the blimp, too. In effect, the attachment point being moved up gets closer to the CG of the kite - so the "moment arm" being the same length for the same amount of bar movement has greater effect on the kite. Imagine a flagpole. If you pull the flagpole 12" at the top, the pole barely bends...but if you pull it 12" at 2/3 up the pole, you will see a noticeable difference in the pole being bent.

BTW, the ARC community has known about this for years, and for those kites, the rear attachment point can be brought forward up to 1/3 the spar distance (tested) with good results. The front attachment being moved back, however, may slow turning down to cancel the rear being moved forward at some point. Maybe a blimp rider will test the rear attachment point for blimps to see the benefits/drawbacks? Typically, ARCs will experience hot nails being driven through their webbing for more line attachment points to test LOL!

(then again, the foils are a lot easier to cut and sew back up...)

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”