Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2002 fuel 16m

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:25 am

Any one know if these kites have much low end grunt and do they have a good range. I'm pretty light (65kg) should i get goin in 9/10knots on my 175 Orly??? Whats people experiences of this kite..
Thanks

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:31 am

Hi guy
Great kite, one of the best low end grunts of 2002, check it's in good nick, they're really well built too. Kite pulls like one size bigger of most other kites, can be a bugger in stonger gusty winds, in which case you should shorten the depower leader and use the pigtails furhter away from the trailing edge to make it more docile, before launching. Go for it, 65 ks on an orly in 9-10 knots no prob

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:30 am

I know this is a tricky question to answer as it depends on the riders ability to edge hard and how over powered they like to be but whats the average top end for the 16m

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:06 am

Like I said, shortening the depower in stronger stuff and using the inner pigtails will help because the fuels ride a lot on the back lines and this means a lot of power in stronger winds.
If you're starting out and weigh 65 ks get used to the kite first in constant wind below 10 knots then when you feel ok about flying it I'd say you could go out in up to 14-15 knots but don't use it in gusty winds that can easy gust to much more in a few sconds and it'll get very hairy.
Once you are happy in overpowered situations on a smaller baord you should be able to hold it up to about 18 knots, but a smaller kite will be much safer and more fun, unless you're looking for big air.
Don't hook in on land. especially with the kite at zenith.
If you want a powerfull kite go for it, the 2002 Fuels are great.
Have fun, stay safe and don't be affraid to ask anything else.
If you register we'll know who we're talking to. I presume you're the same Anon as before?
Jo

keitho
Rare Poster

Postby keitho » Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:35 am

this time i registered... Thanks for the advice. I fly a 8.4AB and was lookin for something bigger for the lighter wind days but still having a bit of an overlap. I was hope to get to 15/16mph before I take the AB out of the bag. Sounds like the fuel will do the job.

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:38 am

I believe that kites like the Fuel will be great. But if you fly Wipika, may be you should look for a kite that is more in its style, may be like Takoon or X2?

Just a thought.

bennyh
Medium Poster

Postby bennyh » Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:29 pm

I have the 8.4AB and 16m fuel and I weigh about the same as you! Here are my views:
the fuel is a much slower turning kite than the AB , and slower than the 11.8ab too. You'll have to adapt to the different riding styles, but that's not such a problem, I use a very short bar on the AB to compensate. I can do small jumps and spins in 8 knots on the fuel - to everyone elses disgust! I find there's a small hole in the ranges when I'm very powered on the fuel and a bit underpowered on the AB, shorter lines help. In very light and gusty winds the fuel is a pig to fly because its heavy, although it rarely luffs due to the lower aspect. The power is pretty full on at about 15knots plus and I'll tend to switch about then.
hope this helps

Return to “Kitesurfing”