Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What about kite SKI?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:41 am

i consider my self a good skier.i will like this winter to use my kite on the snow.i'd like to use my skis.(not snowboard)what about upwind and jumping abilities on skis?
kpipis

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:55 pm

skis have proven to be better for both jumping and upwind ability. if you are more comfortable on skis, it's the way to go.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:24 am

I think this other guy does not know what he is talking about.

I find that jumping is harder with skis because I can not hold down as as much power as I can with a snowboard. Upwind ability is also sightly less for the same reason (when overpowered) but of course it is simple compared to going upwind on the water.

On the other hand skis work really well on bare ice while a snowboard generally does not. I think i can go faster on skis than I can on a snowboard.

I do not like using a standard kitesurf bar with skis. I find I have to twist my waist unnaturally to hold the bar the normal way while hooked in. buggy-type handles work much better for skiing.

Trent Hink

Instant
Rare Poster

Postby Instant » Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:06 pm

Well, I am a really good skier (thank you, very much) I spent the first few years kiting with my skis. Last year I bought a new snowboard.

Skis will hold more edge on packed and icy conditions = better jumps and upwind. Skis Suck in deep snow!

Snowboard will hold more edge and feel much surfier in deep snow = better jumps and upwind. Snowboards suck on ice.

It is easier to learn on skis as you can skate towards the kite, or upwind, or if the kite is dead at the edge of the window you can catch up to it = more control.

My preference is Snowboard - carving turns!

R.

kpipis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kpipis » Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:49 am

im also a good skier(thx too),economical ecxusted from kitesurfing so i think ill stuck on my skis this year.who knows maybe ill try too a friends snowboard.anyway tnx

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:17 am

Here in Ontario Canada I am typically kiting on big lakes. This means mainly on ice, or snow covered ice. As an experienced skier I have been using skis not snowboard. I'm always much faster than the guys using snowboards - I especially like using a small kite in very strong winds where you can generate a lot of extra speed by moving the kite fast. However, in deep snow I think it must be much better with a snowboard.

Marley
Medium Poster

Postby Marley » Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:04 am

Hey fly boy where are you in Ontario. And where do you kite.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:47 pm

Hey Marley: I kite on Lake Simcoe. Hope this winter is a little colder than last year!

IRIE
Medium Poster

Postby IRIE » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:40 pm

Flyboy: I will be heading out to Lake Simcoe on a regular basis this winter, maybe we can hook up? What size kite were you using mostly last year?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:22 pm

Hey Erie:

sorry, did not see your message earlier! Looks like a cold start to the season - maybe Simcoe will freeze early this year.

Kite size seems to depend as much on the ice/snow conditions as the wind strength. On the snow I use a Slingshot B3, & Slingshot Stealth foils 4.4 & 5.8. I haven't seen much need for a bigger kite - perhaps in deep snow.

Most guys are kiting in Cooks Bay (Keswick), but it depends where the surface conditions are best - last year there WAS no surface anywhere else!

Return to “Snow / Land”