Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

waveriding

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

waveriding

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:28 pm

waveriding with a kite - what is it all about?

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:54 pm

doing your best job to trick the audience into thinking youre actually surfing.

sorry but kiting a wave although is _extremely_ fun is just not surfing in my opinion, its a spin off the original but not the same.

pretty much the response youre looking for is just flowing with the wave and always being in its sweet spot.

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:00 pm

Hi,
You can surf it hardcore with your standard twintip "kite-wave-surfing" OR you can get a surf-like board and "surf-with-a-kite".
I am on the first one and waiting for North Surf Board feedback to see where to turn to (None of the North riders used it in SpaceMonkeys II so it doesn't seem to be what i am after...) and enter the 2nd one.
One way or the other it is fabulous! Specially with huge air in wave faces or between-waves flat water.
See you!

Toesidereefer
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Toesidereefer » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:05 am

Ahh! surfing with the kite :D. I think that if you were a surfer before you learned how to kite that you would appreciate it much more.

Side shore to side off conditions with a down the line point break or even beach break for that matter can be pretty insane.

The trick is to learn how to sync the kite with your riding and the wave. Once you learn how to do this without much effort you can high speed slam tail drift rooster tail spray the ever living shit out of some poor helpless slow moving section on a wave that you would normally be bunny hopping or cursing at to get through on a surf board.

Besides how many of you can honestly say that you have been tubed while kiting? And I mean stand-up fully slotted on a real wave with your kite. Probably not that many or even how many have had the opportunity to kite surf perfect 6-8' grinding peeling point waves in side off conditions. I saw a video once of a place in South America where these guys were kitesurfing this perfect peeling left on the edge of this big bay. The rides looked like you could go for hundreds of yards. To me this is "kite surfing".

If people don't understand what the hype is with surfing with a kite then I suggest that you take up surfing. Paddle out on an inconsistent crowded day in sloppy beach break and feel the magic. Most of the wave riding that I've seen is pretty weak and I suspect that we will be seeing a lot more progressive wave riding with a kite in the near future.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:24 am

In the waves is where it' s at.
The possibilities are endless, and this is where you will meet your master no matter your level: the wave.
Nico

Return to “Kitesurfing”