Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
chassan
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My first one

Postby chassan » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:03 am

I did this one using EH method from his website ( http://www.cabareteairforce.com/pictures/boardbuilding/ ). Instead of Core Cell I used Divynicell, then everything else is almost the same. Bought the fins and straps from EH.
The Board is 124X36cm and 23cm/tip and weights 5 pounds
A friend of mine painted it for me, he's kind of an artist with the airbrush.

http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/al ... bla?full=1

http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/al ... la1?full=1

Kaito
Frequent Poster
Style: Surf, freeride & freeslide
Gear: Kites: Powered
Boards: Surf & homegrown
strapless kite surfboards

Postby Kaito » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:44 am

Great looking board! Especially for your first board!
What thickness D-cell foam did you use, how many layers?

Great work!
Best regards,
K.

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:14 am

Thanx Kaito,
I used 3 layers of 6mm H80 Divynicell, but then I notice it was to thick so I sanded it untill it was more or less 12mm. Now I'm making my second one and I'm using 2 layers of 3mm and 1 layer 6mm so I don't have to sand that much. I'm making the rails much more thinner now, and correcting some mistakes that I did with this one, although it works great.

Kermy
Rare Poster

Postby Kermy » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:30 pm

Cool board !!! :thumb:

Ive got a question for you, Ive built a 20mm foam ply-core based on the EH method, Ive layed up 3 layers of 4oz glass and four layers of 6 mm foam on a formica base, but not vacuumed though.

I was expecting it to be a very stiff laminate, but it has loads of flex, and Im concerned about continuing shaping and laminationg the deck if its gonna end up too flexible. Is the base / core turn out flexible until the deck laminate is added ??? I cant believe one more layer of cloth on the deck will make that much difference.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:11 am

Thanx for the coments!
Let me see if I understand in what stage u are. You laid up 3 layers of glass on each side after glueing the layers of foam, right? or those 3 layers are between each layer of foam? if it is the second question then is perfectly normal that the board is flexible, what gives stiffness to a board is the outside laminate. How stiff you want it is going to depend on the type of cloth you are going to use, But anyway I think a formica board should be stiff enough.
Please tell me in what stage of the process u are so I'll be more ilustrated to give u a correc answer.
Also, what type of foam core you are using?
why are you making it so thick? with 3 layers is more than enough for anybody, and it'll save you lot's of shaping. The last board I made was with 2 layers of 6mm foam core, and is perfect.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:38 am

Hi Chassan.......... thanks for the help fella,

So far I have cut a formica bottom shape (the formica is very flexible), then on a 3 stage rocker table Ive laminated to it four layers of 5 mm high density (surfboard type) polyurethane foam with 4 oz glass weave between each layer of foam using approx 150-200 g of West Epoxy resin per layer. Final blank is about 20 mm thick which seems to be fairly standard reading the EH advise, Im impressed with your 12 mm !

The board is a copy of my Wipika Serum 120 x 39 which is about 25 mm thick at its centre.

The trouble is, as its my first attempt, I dont know what to expect as normal. The blank seems very flexible compared to a fininshed board, when you hit the blank with your hand, it vibrates / oscillates... is this normal ???

Youre using normal glass weave yeah or is it carbon ?

Do you think the flex is a problem or should I continue deck shaping and 6 oz glass laminate on the deck ? I suppose the curve at the rails will add stiffness ?

The bonding seems ok so if there is a problem, I suppose it may be
Too little or too much resin, or that I need to be vacuuming ?, or the type of foam.

Thanks, look forward to hearing from ya :bye:

da_se
Rare Poster

Postby da_se » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:47 am

:thumb:

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:16 pm

Is perfectly normal that the board is too flexible and vibrates at this stage, you'll see the difference when is fully laminated, so keep on going, I think you're doing fine.
I use on all my boards a 6.5oz twill weave carbon and a 4z S-glass on each side, they're pretty much very stiff ( after laminating offcourse )
I still think that 20mm is still too thick unless you are like 300pounds. After laminating you'll add a couple of mm. But go ahead with this, afterwards you'll notice that you're going to have an excuse to make another board.
BTW, if you need more info and want to write an email this is it lm.gonzalez@verizon.net.do
Cheers

Return to “Gear Builders”