Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First time Psycho pilot - two thumbs up!!

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 12, 2002 6:12 am

What a kite!, I tried a Psycho 12.5m on 2 occassions, first time out it was 10-12 knots and gusty winds, kite was very controllable and very stable in the air. (even better then warrior), construction is bomber, you can feel all the extra reinforcements in the kite, bar simply is small, rigid and looks beautifull. Water-restart works perfect and fast, so is filling it up with air and launch (1 min.)
In this low wind you can sail effortless upwind, and already have very good lift for jumps, and a long glide down.

Second time was with 18-20 knots, pulled in the adjuster about 75% and off we went for a good first jump, and damn,I went up high and long!, my biggest and floatiest jump ever, only totally screwd the landing. Altough steering lines are slack in this modus the kite is good to steer and I was able to comfortably sail, in the good gusts (25 knots) I pulled in the adjuster full and could still control the kite. The upward lift in overpowered conditions is tremendous, very long floaty jumps. Safety system has been further improved also.

Killer kite!
Ray

loeuftok
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby loeuftok » Sat Oct 12, 2002 6:30 am

How does it compare to mastair?

NIKS
Rare Poster

Postby NIKS » Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:37 am

Hey Jo McD.
Are you kiting on Flysurfer? We've got (myself and broth.) four of them and it seems we ride on the same spot.
Niks
On 2002-10-10 08:46, Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:
Hey BS,
Sounds like you're havin fun.
If the psycho has a velcro butt plug to let the air out when you pack it up I also found this is a really good fast way to preinflate, gets the kite about 70% filled without touching it as you unwind the lines. While you sand the trailing edge you open the butt plug keeping it open by pushing it together a bit, then as you unwind the lines the kite fills on its own. When you walk back checking the lines close the velcro plug and off you go.
Jo

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sat Oct 12, 2002 12:25 pm

Yeah mon,
Mastair 12 for light wind, great stuff, thought I was the only one around her to use a foil, the rest of the crew here in cesenatico is all inflato

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:24 pm

I was hooked to the saftey leash when the chicken loop came out, but tried to get the Psycho under control first. I was about to let go and let the leash work, when I got it under control... Good thing that I did too, as after landing her (assisted like an inflato) I noticed that the leash saftey system had come undone!! Thinking back, the last few seconds that I was draggin though shallow water, on the sand, on me tummy - I remeber the scraping of the harness hook - and becasue the leash was connected to the front of my harness, it came loose... another thing I must pay attention to - "Don't go dragging through the sand on your stomach young man"

By the way, Jo, I tried opening the center air valve before setting out the line as you suggested. Works like a charm!! Brilliant. By the time I was back at the kite, having laid out the lines ready for take off (about 2 minutes) it was almost completely inflated. Just closed it up, and launched.

Tried a side launch when the wind picked up to around 18, also works lovely. Just need to slowly bring the furthest tip from you up - the kite inflates, and brings more of herself up, inflates some more, untill she is fully inflated, and starts pushing the sand off the near tip, then rises slowly into the air. Nice.

While my memory is up and functioning (there is absolutely no wind today! So no distractions, except the occasional house chore - but this is a topic for another thread..:grin:

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:35 pm

Guys,

If there is a problem of too much power (i.e. pulling the bar in too much) how about a small srung cleat that limits bar travel on the chicken loop line for those moment when you pull the bar in too much / hard in the trickey situations.

You can move out of the way if neccesarry by slinding down out tof the way.

Just a thought!

Mike

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:19 pm

the physios are doing really well over here in the uk, well received and selling well.

we've had them longer than most having ridden the protoypes for about 3 weeks before the serial kites arrived last week.

they do feel very different to the warriors and unlike the warriors you have to keep the power in when you land. you can depower them mid jump for steering correction and then power them up again, but they are slow to turn in a jump on full power, and they will front tuck on bad landings.

in high winds you simply can't put enough pull on the bar to turn them in mid air without depowering.

when jumping don't point it as far back as with the warrior, you should be popping it up at about 12 oclock, no later than 1 oclock. for the best height just before you pop point your board downwind towards the kite a little, right at the last second.

hope that helps.

kpipis
Medium Poster

Postby kpipis » Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:07 pm

this thing pulls like a truck...i used yestreday my BlackTip 9.4(12.:cool:to compare to my psycho 12.5. wind 20mls with gusts over 30mls.On the lulls u just pull a little the bar and brake the waves,u never get wet.i hatted having to playing sins on every lull with the BlackTip.
the jumps where about the same high but with much more hung time on the psycho.And still learning...still inflating dificulties

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:43 pm

/kpipis/
//pou eixe 20-30 xthes?
thanks.//

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:34 pm

Hey Kipis
Re:
still inflating dificulties

You mean problems preinflating the foil?

After you lay the kite out and sand the trailing edge, open the butt plug you use to deflate the kite, wedge it open with sand on each side and as you unwind and check your lines the kite will inflate on its own, in about 1 minute it'll be almost full.
Close the plug before launching.
If the wind is strong, launch from the side of the window because like this the kite will be fully inflated or almost.
If wind is weak launch from centre of window.
Launches every time like this.
A good way to keep the butt plug open when deflating is to stick the velcro together uneven so it leaves 2 smaller holes open becuase if not it can stick back together again as you're deflating.
Also when deflating, just lie the kite out so it flaps downwind and sand the upwind tip well, open the butt plug and the wind will blow most of the air out of the kite.
Have fun.
Jo

Ps: also check the air inlet valves aren't bent open, the ones on my FS were after shipping and this can mean less air gets into the kite and also escapes easy when it's in the air, just bend them straight if they are. They should be open when there's no air pressure inside the kite and closed when the kite is inflated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-10-25 21:49 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”