Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Most Common KiteSurfing Injuries?

Forum for kitesurfers
Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blow Me » Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:45 am

Anybody care to share with any Injuries you got from KiteSurfing? The Dos/Don'ts, and maybe how to avoid them?

Cheers.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:08 am

Chronic abuse problems aside such as kiteboarder's elbow and rotator cup injuries, there is a whole list of acute injuries, analysis and suggestions for avoiding them given in the KSI located at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/ ... EFERENCES/

Other tips for avoiding injury and complaints where your ride are included in the Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines in the same location.

Good question!
Rick Iossi

aklbob
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby aklbob » Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:45 am

anything can happen, but knee /ankle /shoulder twists/dislocations, neck injuries ie whip lash or concussion from board, back injuries, pulled muscles,.

Many can be avoided by kiting within your limits, and warming up, regular excerise in addition to kiting if you can't get out twice or more a week...

HighRise
Rare Poster

Postby HighRise » Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:25 am

Last summer I got staples in my head when the board smacked me. I wasn't wearing a helmet then and now I never leave the land with out it. It was windy everyday I couldn't go out. Other then that the only injurie is severe addiction.

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:01 pm

broken ankle from running up on a sandbar and taking a leap. many bangs in the head-while wearing a helmet-until I bought the reel leash. no board launches since. As for "sine wave elbow", mine went away (after 6 years) by taking mega doses of glucosamine sulfate. Took 6 weeks to notice improvements and after 3 months seems to be gone.
phil

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:14 pm

Sore neck, sprained neck, brain concussion. All from landing on my side, back, and belly while learning to spin and jump.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:49 pm

most common stuff ive seen with myself and students and buddies....

wry neck, knee pain (not always severe injury..just chronic inflammation), sinewave elbow, pulled ab muscles, broken ribs, ankle sprains, head lacerations....hmm...most of those things can be partially prevented by maintenance (ie stretching)

i wonder who is posting this anony.-....mouse

:wink: go see the stretch guide, give it a try, you might be suprised at how much LESS pain you feel after a long session if you stretch first.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:09 pm

Holes worn in the top of yer feet by the straps if you don't wear booties

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:46 pm

I am presently trying to heal up from a rib injury. Right now it looks like I have a slight separation of the rib cartlidge where it attaches to the rib. It happened when my body was out stretched, kind of twisted and tweaked in the air. I was trying to correct an off balanced position in the air, and I cranked down hard on the control bar from that out stretched body position to get the kite to come back over my head. What I would do different in the future is to be more patient when I am off balance like that, and not pull so hard on the control bar from that out stretched position. In hindsight I can see why my rib was affected, because in that out stretched body position, it is hard for the body to utilize the abdominal muscles to stabalize the ribs.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:46 pm

Broken heart when I got to the beach and saw that there was no wind.

waaahhhh!

Return to “Kitesurfing”