Forum for kitesurfers
obyone67
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

new kite torn arghhhhh

Postby obyone67 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:15 pm

:oops: just tore a nice 40 cm rip in my 16m airush lift, f**king pi**ed, got some spinnaker repair tape. Will this be enough or should I get it done in a shop , professionally, maybe you guys out there have suffered the same plight, I want to put Spinnaker tape front and back but I am not sure whether it will hold ??????thanks in advance for advice,

fokiten

Re: new kite torn arghhhhh

Postby fokiten » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:22 pm

obyone67 wrote::oops: just tore a nice 40 cm rip in my 16m airush lift, f**king pi**ed, got some spinnaker repair tape. Will this be enough or should I get it done in a shop , professionally, maybe you guys out there have suffered the same plight, I want to put Spinnaker tape front and back but I am not sure whether it will hold ??????thanks in advance for advice,
Just tape the bitch, It's a good thing now you chuck that little sand broom in the in crapper where it belongs,,,

Hey, it takes two to tape, one guy to hold the seam straight and another guy to f*** it up by being too anal about the project.

It's just a kite, one day you'll be wipen your ass with it when your out of toilet paper and living in your car,,

It's in all our futures,,,,,,just tape the bitch.

fokiten

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Re: new kite torn arghhhhh

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:38 pm

obyone67 wrote::oops: just tore a nice 40 cm rip in my 16m airush lift, f**king pi**ed, got some spinnaker repair tape. Will this be enough or should I get it done in a shop , professionally, maybe you guys out there have suffered the same plight, I want to put Spinnaker tape front and back but I am not sure whether it will hold ??????thanks in advance for advice,
Ignore that fokin fool, he does not kite!

If the rip is between the centre strut and the next ones and is between the leading edge and trailing edge, get it sewn (you could also hand sew it), sailcloth based spinnaker tape probably will not hold in the high pressure centre part of your kite, especially if you live in warmer weather areas.

When you apply the tape make sure the kite is clean and dry, wipe it over first with a damp cloth to remove any salt or sand dust. Burnish the tape thoroughly, which means press it down firmly, all over.

Insignia tape works better, if you cannot get it sewn easily but is harder to get, try sailmakers. Its the stuff they use to cut letters from for sail numbers, also used for light reinforcements on sails, it is a stickyback dacron cloth.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:40 pm

fo's right, tape it.. for it to be hard as nails, tape both sides and I've used clear mylar tape in the past and you can hardly see it.... and I've turned into your anal mate

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:48 pm

why dont you take fokitens advice and tape the 40cm tear in your kite, then when it tears in half the next time you load it for a jump you can come back on here and tell him what a guy he is.

40cm is a massive tear, anywhere in a canopy, get it stitched.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:48 am

Well.

I'm glad we cleared that up?

Let's see, fo says tape the bitch and forget about it, k/p says sew it yourself, the Russian says I'm right, sq says tape it and be sorry,,,Hmmm

I bet you feel all straightened out now?

I'll tell you this, we used a whole roll of tape 15 feet of it on my first 8.4,,

I sailed it for entire season after that,,,sold it,,,,,bought it back,,, used it as a loaner,,,,,,,for another season,,, then donated it to some school in argenteina,
last spring,,,,,just heard it's still kickin asses down there.

Sail bandage, from Murry's Marine....

The shit is Bomber,

I'd say, sew it yourself then come back here and tell k/p *&^%$#@%^^

But you want to fix that kite so,,,,,just tape the bitch with "Sail Bandage" and forget it,,,
It's also clear by the way!
fokiten

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:15 am

If you have access to a kite repair shop, just take it to them is my advice. Having your kite professionally repaired is better for your sanity and the resale value of the kite. Plus the shop should warranty the repair so if there are any problems they got to fix it free of charge.

Just my 2 cents...

onthebeachallday
Medium Poster

Postby onthebeachallday » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:29 am

6 month warranty on the 14 metre ocean rodeo bronco i'm picking up in a few days, so if a bladder pops or it tears somewhere i just take it back and the shop owner deals with it :thumb:

surely you should have something similar if your kite is brand new..?

doofus
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Ozone, ASP, Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: Customer.

Postby doofus » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:43 am

not if u stick it into a tree or a fence :-?

yes they might warranty the repair

I bet if u get an under warranty kite repaired by a non-approved repairer you will lose the manufacturers warranty.

obyone67
Rare Poster

Postby obyone67 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:59 am

:thumb: thanks all, nice to know ye all care, going to stitch it, sail repair shop, appreciate the help.

Return to “Kitesurfing”