Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Windwind SAFE system

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windwind SAFE system

Postby 980725 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:23 am

North applied for a patent on this long ago.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Windwind SAFE system

Postby DrLightWind » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:11 am

980725 wrote:North applied for a patent on this long ago.
:blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla:

Bullshit,

Than what's the patent number if "long ago"? :?:

If they applied for why not use it? :?:

The 5th Element is completely different animal isn't it? :?:

DrLW

Spencer
Medium Poster

Postby Spencer » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:51 pm

The Windwing system is definitely very different from the 5th element, but I'm wondering if it might be the same idea as the 2004 North Buster kite. I haven't seen the North Buster up close, but from a distance, it looks like kind of the same idea. Dwight or someone else on this forum must know the answer.

Spencer

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:54 am

8)

John B
Medium Poster

Postby John B » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:15 pm

Spence,

The North Buster is not a line load transfer. The front and rear lines are independent bridles, which is a distinct difference. We at Windwing R&D have been researching many different bridle combinations for quite some time. It has been a challenge to take a different approach and being SAFE is our number one goal. Being SAFE and keeping it simple is a "mission statement" for us.

Regards,

Windwing R&D

Spencer
Medium Poster

Postby Spencer » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:36 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for the clarification. The SAFE system does sound pretty cool. Keep up the good good R&D work!

Spencer

KW
Rare Poster

Postby KW » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:00 am

[quote="John B"]Spence,

The North Buster is not a line load transfer. The front and rear lines are independent bridles, which is a distinct difference. We at Windwing R&D have been researching many different bridle combinations for quite some time. It has been a challenge to take a different approach and being SAFE is our number one goal. Being SAFE and keeping it simple is a "mission statement" for us.

Regards,

Windwing R&D[/quote]

Hey, John, we had some discussion of this issue in Texas over the weekend. It turns out that the diagram you've posted of the Windwing SAFE system is functionally identical to the Buster bridle -- something we started playing around with in the summer of 2002. PCT was secured some time ago, which isn't to say you can't use it. Just thought you should know.

Very best regards, Ken Winner

John B
Medium Poster

Postby John B » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:46 pm

Ken,

Good to hear from you! First of all I would like to aplogize to Spence. You are a sharp kiter with lots of style. Thanks for staying uptop this issue!

The Buster looks similar, however the use of pulleys at the kite would make it loose or very tippy, and even more so with higher attachment points. Maybe that's why you didn't venture too high on the LE.

We do not use pulley's, but use resistance with higher points on the LE. There are key components to make the system work. Sloped "wide wingtips" keep the system locked down while riding with min. input. When you need to tip the kite it's there not loose but tight. The static lines also provide rigidity to the LE. in the closed posistion. The "CC" pulley bar provides the resistance and keeps the system tight.

If you did file a PCT in the summer of 02, that gives you a year "03" to form your patent. Please help me out here, where is the #.... I searched... Did you let it fizzle away? Don't get me wrong I respect your contributions to kite design.

Thanks,
Windwing R&D

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:51 pm

John B wrote:The Buster looks similar, however the use of pulleys at the kite would make it loose or very tippy, and even more so with higher attachment points.

We do not use pulley's, but use resistance with higher points on the LE. There are key components to make the system work.
Sloped "wide wingtips" keep the system locked down while riding with min. input. When you need to tip the kite it's there not loose but tight. The static lines also provide rigidity to the LE. in the closed posistion. The "CC" pulley bar provides the resistance and keeps the system tight.

If you did file a PCT in the summer of 02, that gives you a year "03" to form your patent. Please help me out here, where is the #.... I searched..
Even if the Buster looks similar to Windwing's SAFE system from a technical point of views the conbinations of details and refinements,
makes it to work in reality in a different way. I call this method the "Kinematic Inversion of Recon".

Than it's patentable because technically, functionally different and improved,
so as the claims will be different, inspite of the fact of presence of the prior art.

PCT is the catch.
It can be extended for more than 2 years for business purposes or etc. for prior art advantages,
without disclosing the abstract or issue the patent.
This way nobody would have a clue and would give the extra edge to the inventor against competitors,
like looking for a black cat in the dark.

It's not really the patent what is important but how to market it and how to protect it.
Appears to be there are many ways to skin the cat,
but the line load transfer of Windwing's works slightly in a different way which makes the foundation strong IMO.

Thank you John and Ken for the details,

DrLightWind

Flown Arc type, Foil type and L.E.I. kites and found neither one are perfect as people;
But each one has it's good point of applications. Also flown Recon, 5th line, 5th E. and Aventout systems.

maddy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby maddy » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:06 am

rigth doctor

It works like that but in this case (as in most of..) I think nobody is going to get a penny out of this (patents I mean).

Nice to see that much kindness in officially allowing .... somebody, in a forum .
First time in my experience.

and now ?? what's going to happen ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”