Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

exploding 10m wipkia leading edge

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:02 am

Just done my second leading edge bladder in a month, each time the end has blown out. The last one detonated by its self but today I crashed it in the water, by no means a powerslam. I haven't put anywhere near the presure the rrd,x2,airush boys put in their kites. So how can you deal with these jellyfishing pieces of shit if you can't pump these kites up to a reasonable
level?

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hernan » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:00 pm

I "kill" my airblasts and no problem (yet).
Some kites, as slinshots, seems to be very hard inflated as the dacron is very stiff. If you are blowing out the tube there is a big chance that the pressure is excesive.
A firm LE is good. Blowing it is BAD.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:12 pm

On 2002-10-26 12:02, Anonymous wrote:

Just done my second leading edge bladder in a month, each time the end has blown out. The last one detonated by its self but today I crashed it in the water, by no means a powerslam. I haven't put anywhere near the presure the rrd,x2,airush boys put in their kites. So how can you deal with these jellyfishing pieces of shit if you can't pump these kites up to a reasonable
level?
Jellyfishing is a design problem. It must be designed out of the kite. Pumping the kite up hard only has a small affect on jellyfishing, compared to designing the kite correctly. There is something about the foil shape in the tips versus the upper part, that kite designer had to figure out before jellyfishing was stopped. Buy a newer kite, until then stop pumping the kite up too hard, and live with the jellyfishing you have.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:15 pm

that's a 10m wipika problem.

you'll get the bladder replaced by wipika.
when you fit it in, be sure that it fits correctly.

(these little chinese sewers don't have the faintest idea what they are making)
in the tips, nothing of the part of the bladder that is inflatet has to be wrapped around.
only the last few centimeters (where the paper's inserted) may be foldet.
if you do it correct, it works.
i know a guy who's flying his 10m airblast for quite some time now without any problem, and he's inflating it hard like a rock -> without the blridle, inflating hard is the only chance to water-relaunch the kite in low wind.

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:59 pm

yeah, if it's a 10, it's at least a 2002 so the 2001 problems don't apply. if it's blown out at the same place twice i'd look for something in that area of the leading edge that might be sharp or abrasive...in addition to making sure you put the bladder in properly.

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:30 pm

This was a pre-release 2002 10m Airblast problem. It happens on the early '02 kites only and was sorted on later ones. A good dealer should not have sold these ie: A good dealer would have tested them and sussed the fault before selling any. I had one and it was the last wipika I ever handed over $ for.

I'd play hell and get the whole kite replaced 'cos new bladders will just keep blowing out.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:40 pm

gonzo,
how should a dealer test these kites?
the only way of finding out is inflating and flying.

does a good customer pay the bucks for a new kite if it's used 'for testing' ?

the 10m AB really often blows because of the tips rubbing at the bladder.
really often, the bladder's not inserted correctly (in the new kites) and blows after a few days.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:51 am

Thanks for the feedback. I know of another local rider with a 10m who has had the same promblem. As for fitting the bladder correctly, yeah prehaps it was a factor the first blow out, but the second bladder was replaced meticulously by myself and the shop
owner. I think the kite is an early 2002 came with old 2001 bar and video. Sounds like it might be a warrenty claim, at $150 a bladder this can't go on. Ordered a 12m x2 today. I've had a bad run with kites had three 2001 Cabrinhas, with dodgey bladders and now an exploding wipika, let's hope I've made a good choice this time.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:50 am

$150 a bladder!!!? I was thinking about getting 2 new ABs, but with costs like that, can anyone tell me who offers lower priced bladders? Wipika thinks it's smart putting 2 valves on its leading edge bladders, but I guess that also means they can charge whatever they want for replacement parts since they're the only one that makes em, eh?

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:23 am

Thats $150 Australian, so about $80 US.
Have a look at the Slingshot home page for shock value at the price of bladders cost is more like $150 US. That slowed me down even considering buying a Slingshot. With that said new kites seem a bit tougher and bladders shouldn't be a big issue. My friend has a quiver of airush kites used them every day for a year and never had the bladders out once.

Return to “Kitesurfing”