I flew the 20m Rhino2

Forum for kitesurfers
Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:42 pm

I flew the 20m Rhino2 today on the beach in 6 knots. This kite is not the typical big pig we normally see in a kite this size. This kite is nimble and quick. I was doing kite loops on the beach and coming no where near the ground. These were tight kite loops. It is great fun to fly. It should be a blast in real wind. The kite was very tolerant of different trim setting. No setting would upset the kite. It would just sit quietly in the sky with zero tendancy to fall.

This kite flies fast enough to make power sine flying, something not many big kites can do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-10-21 00:21 ]</font>

www.kite-surf.com
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby www.kite-surf.com » Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:52 pm

So, you really did it? Traded Jacky for a Rhino II-20?

:wink:

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:04 pm

Lucky for me, I wasn't forced to make that choice. :wink:

I was loaned this kite by KW. Dreams do come true.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:16 am

Dwight, sounds great. The 20m X2 is a nimble beast too. I was out wwith it yesterday, and it's turning speed is quite amazing. I stood on the beach in about 6 knots looping the kite with no problems at all.

When the wind picked up (maxing at about 16 knots) the jumps you can get with these kites can be amazing. (But you need to start with the kite quite high otherwise you will go fast and long instead of high).

At one point I was doing a forward 360 transition with a grab, and had too much pressure on back hand. I ended up looping the kite completely in the air then landing and sailing away. Wasn't exactly planned - but this shows how responsive these big kites are becoming...

It would be interesting to compare the X2 and Rhino 2...

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:13 am

yep all the new kites are damn good, it's just personal preference about flight characteristics, and how it fits with your style now. I don't think the big kites are ever going to be "too fast" though...or have "too much power " :smile: :smile: :smile:

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:53 am

I don't think the Rhino2 20 will be as fast as the X2. All the new North kites I've flown, 20, 18, and 10, all handle the same, like a 12m Rhino1. KW has done a good job of getting all these kites to handle similar.

They don't believe in super fast kites with feather light bar pressure. Jaime says those type kites don't have enough feel to let him know where the kite is. This was told to me by a friend who met Jaime Herriaz this weekend. I like this plan.

Backloop
Rare Poster

Postby Backloop » Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:49 am

Hi Dwight:

You have been able to ride the 20? For you what is the lower limit to be able to jump?

Thanks.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:02 am

What a concidende! I ride my X2 20 first time today. Turns great, pull like a 12 wheeler (I am used to the light ABs) It has a Naish feel but faster. I ride well powered on a 150 x 43 in near 10 knots. The bar, 55, seems a little short for this wind. Bar pressure was huge by wipika standards (without bridles of course).
I fell powered but I found difficult to get any serious jump. Perhaps with a little more wind and practice. Nice beast.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:09 am

On 2002-10-21 05:13, aklbob wrote:
I don't think the big kites are ever going to be "too fast" though...or have "too much power " :smile: :smile: :smile:
tried a new slingshot yet? quite the fast kite. i fly mine on slower setting because turns too fast. at least does the 17 metre.

HighRise
Rare Poster

Postby HighRise » Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:39 am

Can there can one Rhino II topic that doesn't have something about the X2. Ya, we all know that it is a good kite so stop bring it up everytime something comes up about Rhino II or any other kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”