Forum for kitesurfers
Hernan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Hernan » Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:27 am

I repost this because it is important:

"I remember when these boards appeared. I want one! I said. After a closer look, I pass by.
I am tired of saying: SAND THEM, SAND THEM, SAND The F!#@@ rails!!
Slingshot has very high quality kites and accesories but these boards have crazy sharp rails that do nothing to board performance and are dangerous. Period."

Round and square rails rules!!

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:28 pm

So what you are tired of saying sand the rails. If you are tired of saying it, then I would suggest you quit saying it. :smile:
Personally, I have NO PROBLEM at all with sanding, shaping, smoothing or fine tuning my boards to my likings. In fact, I kinda prefer it this way. If the boards come with round rails and you want sharper rails, what then do you do? On the other hand, if they come with sharper rails and you want rounder rails, at least you can then sand them down to be what you want them to be.

Are their ANY snowboarders on this kiteforum? Some input from some serious snow shredders would help out here. I know many snowboarders that sharpen their rail in some places and soften it in others...fine tuning the board to fit their needs and style. Why should we as kiteboarders not have this option? Sure, some guys wanna take it out of the box and just go ride it, but their are still some that like to tinker with their stuff until it has just the feel they are after. To each their own.

If you dont like the SS sharp rails, sand them down! THERE, I said it for you Hernan....maybe now you wont have to say it anymore. Image

Visualize whirled pea's

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:15 am

You're right murdoc! And some dealers do sand them before selling. However, I still prefer it not be done prior to selling to ME. Maybe just a little to remove the very sharpest of it(which I think may already be happening), but I prefer to be able to give the board edge the finish I want by being able to sand on it. If they come already sanded too far, you can't do this. But, like I said, to each their own.

Sharper edges have their uses too don't they? Bet I can hold my edge better with a sharp edge than you can with a round edge when we ride over top of that exposed sandbar out there. Or how about when you ride up ON TO the(deserted)beach and then turn to ride back out into the water...I bet I hold my edge better with a sharp rail there as well. OR, suppose I am setting on the beach, board on feet, getting ready to power the kite up and jump and (hopefully) land in the water...wouldn't a sharp edge give me a better bite in the dirt while my kite powers up? Not that I am trying to justify riding on land, jumping from land or anything, but...well...you know.

They don't need to be razor sharp as you have said...they just need to be thin, and to be honest with you, the last few skate boards that I seen come from slingshot DIDN'T have the sharp edges that they were known for. I mean, they weren't round, but they HAD already been sanded down a bit.

OH, another use for my sharp rail(when I had it)..I once used it to cut a line in a bad situation when a slack line ended up around my leg and the kite was beginning to repower when I had nothing else to cut it with. SO...can't I now honestly say that a sharp rail on the kiteboard may have very well saved my life?

:smile:

I'm not trying to bust your balls bro, I'm just playing here. I agree with you, they should be thin, but not sharp. They should prolly also be sanded a bit prior to selling as you said. But, for the record, a really sharp rail once did save me from a potentially nasty situation...that part is true. Of course, those same sharp rails cut my hands a couple of times (prior to sanding) doing board grabs. That's what finally motivated me into sanding them down a bit.

PEACE

Johnny

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:20 am

well, a snowboard has to 'bite' into ice and hard snow. when riding deep powder it's different.

a kiteboard is supposed to be ridden in water only (at least until now).

water's much smoother.
you need thin rails, but not sharp ones - if the slingshot board cuts your leg, or worse, your pressious neoprene or even worse, your stylish pants, you'll have the disadvantage of a wound in your leg (attracting sharks / making the paramedic van hitting your car parked in the emergency driveway), a hole in your neoprene and a cold leg or looking stupid - while having no advantage of the sharp rail.

but as far as my knowledge reaches, slingshot advised the skate-owners to sand their rails?
so the shop-owners should know it and advice the customers / do it before selling ?

hmmm.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:16 am

Aha, you sand them!!
And your argument on snowboard has nothing to do with kiteboards.
When I was young (very long ago) I was well into the board design business for many years. I was a shapper myself and had talk about rails and rockers and resins and blanks for a loooong time.
The fact is that a good handmade surfboard is like a piece of art. I dont know anybody sanding the rails of his surfboard to get a rounder or sharper edge. Kiteboards are much closer to surfboards than to snowboards. So must be their soul.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:22 pm

A tucked round rail can actually edge better than a hard sharp one. It may not seem true but it is. They also carve and transition better as well. Edging on snow and edging in water is a very different thing. Rounded finished rails are much more expensive to manufacture so you see a lot less of it.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:02 pm

On 2002-10-27 04:16, Hernan wrote:
Aha, you sand them!!
And your argument on....
i dont think their was ment to be an arguement here at all. i viewed this thread as jonny and murdoc playing. matter of fact johnny said that at end of his post. maybe male bonding or something i dont know. but no one seems to be arguing other than yourself. i think we all agree that sharp rails have no use. even johnny seems to be agreeing. so whats up? who argueing?

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:36 am

Sorry, I have a very bad english (as you surely notice). Is argument a "hard word" or just a way to explain something with words?
At the beginning of this post the real issue was that the rails at the skates have too much sharp and being really dangerous. I cant believe that a serious company like slingshot seems to be makes a board series that can hurt you so bad. Just my opinion. Anonimous.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:36 am

Sorry, I have a very bad english (as you surely notice). Is argument a "hard word" or just a way to explain something with words?
At the beginning of this post the real issue was that the rails at the skates have too much sharp and being really dangerous. I cant believe that a serious company like slingshot seems to be makes a board series that can hurt you so bad. Just my opinion. Anonimous.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:41 am

I heard Litewave is being sued for sharp rails. It sounded like some idiot had to blame someone else for using a fixed leash.

Return to “Kitesurfing”