Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

style before huck

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:15 pm

when i see a lot of clips of both amateurs and PROS i notice there´s a lot of hucking going on.

I´ve seen Chris Gilbert live and i gotta say he´s different, he had lots of style, even on a grabbed 1440.

my point is a lot of kiters spin like hell and it looks really bad.

i´d prefer a smooth 720 with a nicely tweaked grab over some ugly 1080 anyday.

look at snowboarders and skiers. they hucked in the beginning but realized that a smooth rodeo 900 is btoh harder and prettier than a superfast, arms waving 1260.

so, style before huck. cuz style is better to watch AND a lot harder to do.

bennyh
Medium Poster

Postby bennyh » Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:08 pm

that's so right.
the spinny-roundy-roundy-splash-in-water looks rubbish. What about the super-smooth transitional moves? Or the long inverted single rotations at height?

style definitely rules over technical dificulty.

Here's another thing - can you 'claim' a new move on the basis of just making it one time?

My view: do it in either direction, from toe and heelside and land planing every time before you can claim it.

I've got a lot of work to do on toeside riding then!
laters

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby F12-Flyer » Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:51 pm

I also agree and love slow 360s and high tweaked jumps.

one rider that comes to mind is robbie naish I absolutley hate his style.

Rod

www.kite-surf.com
Frequent Poster

Postby www.kite-surf.com » Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:36 pm

Yeah, Robbie Naish is the worst styler in the world (my kite girl assistant says that, too)...

But I won't complain any more after having seen me on tape :sad:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:59 am

Yeah i think we all need to get videos of us doing some moves..... I think the pros would suddenly look quite a bit better.....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:01 am

I'm surprised a video like that hasn't been made allready and marketted......

you know a video of intermediates trying tricks (even basic stuff) and botching and muffing them up...... it'd look bloody funny and worthy entertainment.....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:18 am

well, yes.
i've seen a video of me and the best looking one was a messed up one .. i didnt get the jump like i wanted it...
i was pissed, grabbed the rail (because of the cam i had to do something) and then just hung there, looking bored, waiting for the landing ...

all the rotations and no handet looked so damn concentrated on the trick itself ...

soo i guess you have to practise a trick until you'll perform it when someone wakes you up in the middle of the night to look stylish?

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:16 am

When you start doing a move, you have to just huck yourself into it. Unfortunatly I think most kiters move onto learning a new move before they master the style aspect of the previous move!! I'm guilty of that...

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:43 am

Agree that style is way more important than huck.

A few years ago I learnt to do a forward 360 spin unhooked, as one of my first tricks. I practiced and practised, and as boards got smaller my 360 turned into a 720, then 1080, then 1440 etc. These days I don't even bother, and in any case, a single slow hooked in 360 with a nice grab is both harder and much smoother than a super fast spin.

But - I also think that height and super fast landings are impressive and important. There needs to be a sense of danger. I am not into totally technical style at low altitude. I reckon it's gutless, and looks a little lame. You have a kite which can make you go high so use it.

Style with height and big hangtime is impressive. Even with transitions. Like a simple toeside forward trans to heelside. Edge harder, take off faster and sheet in further to make this a serious and more dramatic air. None of this lame 1 meter off the water spinning stuff . There has to be the chance that if things can go wrong and you will know about it with a big wipeout.

Any anyway when you are super high, upside down and back the front and tweaked loose track of where your kite is - how is that for adrenalin?

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:48 pm

totally agree with the last post.

i see a lot of,people spinning like 720 half a meter off the water. that isn´t hard, or pretty!

take it easy bros!

Return to “Kitesurfing”