Changing depower rope on the SLingshot bar

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:04 pm

5/16th or 8 mm seems to be too big, 1/4 or 6mm seems ok.
This is just the right size to go through the original plastic pipe of the chicken loop.
Hey Hernan you're right about the neat splicing, when you take the loop apart you can see a really neat way the rope threads into itself to stiffen the bottom part.
I admit I am lazy but I also didn't do this yet because I was a bit wary of taking the SS depower apart and riuning it, my local kite shop didn't even wanna know.
On the other hand, the other night another 10cm of depower would have been very welcome.
I think I'm gonna go for another 10cm of depower range and 10 cm of trim range more than the original.
I have got quite long arms.
Gorilla Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-10-28 14:10 ]</font>

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:26 pm

Jo, is easy to replace the whole chickenloop-rope by unscreewing the clamcleat and removing the stopper ball.
Then you have an "intact" slingshot depower. Then you could try a new style one and when you want to sell the kite get the thing to the original form. (I do this with my bars).
By the way, I dont know what happend but everyday I m using less the depower.
I feel like each kite has a narrow sweet spot, where it flies best and is better to control the power by edging and parking the kite at the right spot.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:53 pm

Thanks Hernan, you mean use another chicken loop and keep the original one for selling the kite, gottcha.
Btw I know what you mean about using less depower, I'm doing the same, I find the fuels fly great when you're going and often use very little depower, probably because of the apparent wind.
What I want more depower for is so the kite pulls less on gusty days when parked at the edge of the window, on land more than anything else, (now even on full depower it pulls like a bastard) and to jump more when powered up :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-10-28 14:55 ]</font>

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:42 pm

Acutally, the 5/8 works pretty well, and there's room left over in the hole it passes through to possibly even feed my leash through, but I won't do that due to extra wear on it. The second time I replaced it, I did what the other poster said. I simply removed the stopper ball and the two screws on the clam, and re-fed the new chicken loop through (didn't even unwind the lines off the bar!). I just had to remember exactly how it was fed through, but that's no big deal, as you pull out the old one, you feed in the new one, so its hard to make a mistake...

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:35 pm

Thanks 4 all the advice guys i managed to find a sub 8mm sectra that just squeezes through the pulley, looks much better than the 6mm

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:44 pm

Oh, you meant the pulley hole...

The 5/8 works okay there, it fits, but not much spare room. After taping and burning the ends, I had to give it a good shove to get it through since the burned area was bigger. But other than that it worked fine. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”