Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wakeboard conversions

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:27 am

I was just wanting to know if anybody had any experience with converting a wakeboard into a kiteboard. I have a large twin tip, 168 X 40 for the light wind sessions, and when i was learning, but now i need a board that i can hold down in big winds.

I have an old wakeboard that i have given ago with the boots, which seems OK when powered up, 142 X 30ish. I have ditched the boots (they are old and suck!) and i am looking at putting straps on it.

My next problem is that it only has center fins, so i will have to do some drilling!

Any advice would be great.

ps. I am saving the pennies for a UG WT, but until then i need a little board for high winds.

thanxs

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:38 am

Some people ride wakes with the traditional center fins, they will just be a bit looser, try putting a good size fin, like a 2.25" in there and have a go on that, it might be enough to get you by. If you go mounting fins, it's more than just drilling a couple of holes...

For the footstraps, you can use someing like the nsi anti bindings. Basically wake binding plate, with a foot pad and footstrap mounted on it.

Good luck! you'll love the tray when you finally get it!

Callum

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:00 pm

Thanks Callum and I'll let you know how I go!

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:06 pm

Find a hyperlite offshore 2001 issue, this is the best kite board I have ridden, its i44cm,dead flat rocker, and straight as an arrow in side cut, comes with center fins add coner fins and you will be happy. I am plus it is only 149 USD,

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:03 am

Hi there, ive just done the same as you 3 weeks ago.
First i cut down the wake bindings to form straps for my booted feet, and then moved the plate as far heel side as poss, then added 2 new fins heel side about 4" either side of my foot plates.
It works very well but i need to be powered up.
Good luck............

Dazzler (UK)

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:32 am

i'm riding a liquid force rythm 1.34 as my only board.

with boots, i'm fine.
with straps, i'd move them heelside and add 2 fins.

TheRob
Medium Poster

Postby TheRob » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:20 am

to add fins all you got to do is line them up and get them in the right spot then drill 2 holes. you don't need to add inserts in it or anything. the foam in the board is closed cell so it will not take on water.
later,
rob

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:28 am

My experience has been that if you have a board with a relatively straight rail outline you do not need more than one fin on each end to edge well.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:17 pm

well, before mounting them, you should give this board a run, indeed.

i've experienced that aditional fins halp in total overpower and to boost higher airs when using straps.

but without them, you learn edging the right way.
so, it'll be a better lesson if you ride the board until you demand for fins :wink:

Adolfo
Medium Poster

Postby Adolfo » Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:43 pm

I’ll suggest, just forget the extra fins, and give a try to the wakeboard as it is.
My kitesurfing board broke 2 weeks ago. I went home, fetched my wakeboard (137 x 37) and sailed out. I couldn’t tell the difference.
Regarding the straps, take the boots out of the aluminum plates, glue a pair of pads and fix normal windsurfing straps there. That is better than just fixing the straps to the board, because you will be able to move the straps around to find the best position.
Good luck.
Adolfo

Return to “Kitesurfing”