Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

head to head - AB 11,8 2002 - Lift 12,2 2002 - X2 16 sm

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:11 am

On 2002-10-28 02:47, BLOWN AWAY wrote:
A directionial will improve the low end of ANY kite.... but it's makes the most difference to top end kites like the X2.

If you have a directionial board and a wakeboard then the X2 offers big range... you can nearly get a 20 knot range out of the 12m X2.... It does have a good range due to it's no jellyfish and low drag construction combined with it's fast turning....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:
THIS IS MY POINT! For any given board, compared to other kites the X2 has poor low end... comparing different kites using the same board here! Saying the x2 has good low end if you use the right board is a load of shite!

And Jellyfishing doesn't affect the range of a kite it's just ugly... most kite disigners will admit that jellyfishing actually has very little effect on performance. Look at the 10m airblasts, they wobble all over the place but that have great range, they jump very well too, and the motor upwind... even the earliest ones that had the worst jelly fishing problems....

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:23 am

Jellyfishing reduces range as in strong wind it will give you a surge of power that you may not be able to handle. An efficient kite that is well balanced should be able to cut cleanly through the wind to the edge with no wobble. The X2 flies cleanly, and this is why I can use the 10m X2 in more wind than I used to be able to use the 7.5 M Ar5. The big difference is that it has more poiwer becasue it's bigger, and goes a lot, lot higher. I agree that X2's are not perfect in every respect, but once you get them dialled they will give you insance height and hang time when fully powered.

The attachment points make a big difference too. I use the 2nd point back from the front on the 14 and it defniately gives a more grunty feel.

Also - people talk a lot about stalling X2's by undersheeting, but when underpowered I think the tips need to be flared slightly for full power. Also works better on a small TT this way as there is more sideways force.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:58 am

Since we are on the subject of "directional kites".... the 3 kites involved in this comparision are all fast top end kites... which suit directionals I mite add.....

Small kites that are fast suit directionals......

For wakeboarding you need to use these kites in their upper range...

interesting to see if their is a thread that compares "bottom end" kites.....

BLOWN AWAY :evil:

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:41 am

I am used to ABs, they have poor low and good high. I bought an X2 20 to gain at the low end. It is much more powerfull than the 11,8 (16 flat) It also likes flying parked more than the wipikas, It has a naish feel but fast (equal or faster than the 11,8). A friend of mine has also a 16. In good winds (18kT) I never see anybody stay for so long and land so softly. We have to recognise these kites are very good.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:58 pm

anyone dares to compete against my takoon skoop 17 ???

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:05 pm

On 2002-10-28 11:41, Hernan wrote:
I am used to ABs, they have poor low and good high. I bought an X2 20 to gain at the low end. It is much more powerfull than the 11,8 (16 flat) It also likes flying parked more than the wipikas, It has a naish feel but fast (equal or faster than the 11,8). A friend of mine has also a 16. In good winds (18kT) I never see anybody stay for so long and land so softly. We have to recognise these kites are very good.

I agree.... the X2's work really well when the wind's up.... the 20m would haul in 15 knots and the 16m in 20 knots... these kites weren't designed for 8 - 10 knots but for the stronger stuff.....

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:25 pm

The point with the X2's is that they are producing useful lift for tricks BEFORE you are at their top end! They might not pull as strong, but the lift is still there even when you are underpowered! By the time I get to 16-18 knots with my 18 X2, I'm being very careful not to power the kite before doing moves due to the huge lift resulting in way too big transitions!..

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:30 pm

That's right.... you can't beat an X2 for lift.... I've noticed on my AERO that you need much more power before you can jump properly.....

The X2 jumps bloody awesome....

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:37 pm

blown away... "you can't beat an X2 for lift".... interesting comment, have you actually ridden any other new kites to compare lift with the x2 or are you just blowing a bunch of wind.
I personelly have never flown an x2 so I wouldn't know but I do know a number of very experienced riders getting off X2's and onto another brand who are super stoke with their new found extra lift amoungst other things

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:17 pm

The friends of mine that compared 12.2 airush lift with 18m X2, also found that not only did the 12.2 get going earlier but It started jumping earlier too. and it's 3sqm smaller than the X2...

Give it up guys, are you on naishes pay roll or what?

Return to “Kitesurfing”