Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby murdoc » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:05 pm

ok.
the depower range is insane.

but what about safety?

back in the days when i had my 9m speedair, i knew that letting go of the bar is a bad idea when i'm overpowered becuause the drag of the kite sitting on the water (or whirling in the air) was so hard.
i could hold it in knee-deep water (no chance when the water reached to my hips), but it was impossible to roll up the lines without risking line cuts and in less then 15 very hard minutes i always had to wait for water getting into the kite, so i could roll up the lines while jogging downwind.

this sucked. and by increasing the depower-range, this problem should also have increased?

so, if you find yourself hopelessly overpowered with the new psycho that uses the same system, you should get a serious problem .

any experiences?

mmunzer
Frequent Poster

Postby mmunzer » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:56 pm

Hi Murdoc,

The psycho pulls less than the same sized warrior on the leash.

In any case, all flysurfer users should be clear that it is a two stage leash. The first step is the normal leash. If there is still residual pull, you pull in one brake line.

If you want a very nice safe system then you can rig a fourth line to one wingtip like an inflatable. Run the line up one brake line and you have a 100% depower safety system.

Also, the new bar allows a airrush leash system going to one side of the boom. I will see if I can rig up a grab handle on one brake lines.

best regards,

Marc
GoExtreme.dk

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:52 pm

flysufferer.

mark i've already tried using the end of the leader line through the bar as a reride, it certainly kills the kite but doesn't re-ride. but thats what you'd expect.

you need to put a stopper ball between the double v-lines, where you adjust the front of the kite a'o'a for low power to stop it ripping all the bridling through the kite.

basically it works, but its not pretty, or particularly good for the kite.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:58 pm

edit last post.

users please note that we are refering to using the rotor leash, on the standard leash pulling in one line can be quite,,, dramatic.

Louis Cypher
Medium Poster

Postby Louis Cypher » Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:43 pm

....and another critical from an ex- flysurfer user:

When I ran overpowerded with my Speedair and had to relaunch the kite the power while restarting was tremendous! To safe upwind position i normally relaunched with board already on my feat and inbetween me and the kite. The power while relaunching broke my bar into pieces!

But the Speedair had a ridiculous depower in relation to the psycho. Won't the psycho nearly brake your backbone doing restart really overpowered? Did anybody break a bar while restarting the psycho?

Greeeeeetzzzzz Louis

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:25 pm

Past weekend I was using the 12.5 Psycho in 18 knots, with gusts up to 22, and I had it in the water a few times. Both times face down. Both times, I still had my board snug on my feet.

Pulling the brake lines in, raises the kite, and flips it to one side. I did not pull on brake to move the kite to the edge of the window first, but raised the kite straight downwind. AS soon as it turns on to one side, I let go of the brake lines, grab the bar, and steer it up. Now comes the power, but it is no more than if my AB 8.4 would be doin the hindenberg, and then catch it just before hitting the water, relaunching it in the power zone.

To further specify, I made sure to keep my board on feet in front of me all the time, while launching it backwards, turning over, and then steering out through the power zone.
1. Board gives a good resistance to the pull of raising the kite backwards - which by the way is not much at all, but this does keep you very stable.
2. As soon as you can steer the kite up, it does give a nice burst of power, and with the board already in position, lifted me up, out of the water, and I was happily on my way again.

Important in stronger conditions will be to make sure that as soon as you flip the kite and can steer it out, to de-power fully, but I don't think this will be a problem, unless you are so over powered that you should not really be out there with such a big kite.

:grin:

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:45 pm

Always fully depower while starting and with the psycho also fully pull in the adjuster and reset it after kite is in zenith.

Works beautifull and with Psycho is also very managable in high winds.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:14 am

the bar ont he speed air was a crap alloy number with brass screws through it at the middle, it was the corrosion through the bar that broke it not the power.

the psycho has about 6 times the depower of speedair, and its true depower, so the kite just pulls less, rather than being under brake like the speed air.

i really cant imagine anyone braking the current bar, its 4mm carbon.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:24 pm

the thing is:

how do u drop a kite when totally overpowered?
i brought my 12m down 2 times when i got a gust in mid-air and all my timing got confused, but both times where very gusty conditions (and i dropped it after the gust - in a lull)
but my 16m kite won't drop when overpowered .

but i really think, flysurfer should provide a safety opinion with zero drag if not restartable - fine as long as you don't have problems self-rescuing.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:53 pm

there is an option you just grab the end of one of the leader lines, and the tip folds over and the kite flaps like a flag

Return to “Kitesurfing”