Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

HELP!!! Aero and wakeboard!

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:47 pm

I am from South Africa and I am new to kiteboarding and very keen on getting a Naish Aero 10m. I am a relatively good wakeboarder and snowboarder. I want to do the more wakestyle kitesurfing.

Do you think its a good idea to start out on a kite-wakeboard say a 140cm with bindings? or with wake-sandals? or foot-straps?

Or do you think it is better to get a twintip or directional and get to grips with the whole thing before changing to wakestyle?

Also what board is good for wake type of riding? and do you need a bigger get to get that extra power because you need more power for wakeboarding?

I weigh 65kg and dont have the cash to get 2 boards at this stage.

Thats alot of questions!!!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Jaco le Roux

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:56 pm

Get a twintip board at first until you get used to the kite etc.... and then just use your wakeboard you allready have....

However with a wakeboard you will need quite a bit of wind with a 10m Kite....

I use an underground lunchtray.... not a full on wakeboard, it has footstraps but is wakeboard size.... I have the AERO 20 and are powered in 12 knots....

Hope this helps....

BLOWN AWAY :cool:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:58 pm

Either that or get a directional board.... you will be able to get kiting in less than 15 knots but will have to get used the the wake style riding in more powered conditions when you change over....

Although that shouldn't be a problem as you allready have the board skills.....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:08 pm

Safety in this sport is incredibly important. It takes time to learn to avoid dangerous mistakes. Therefore it makes a lot of sense to start on a fairly large board (TT or directional, like a 6'0") because you can ride such a board with much less power than a small wakeboard. The "punishment" for mistakes will be less severe. Once you get the hang of it, get a wakeboard but keep the big board for low wind days.

Adolfo
Medium Poster

Postby Adolfo » Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:37 pm

Safety is the most important issue while learning. I would suggest to take lessons, in a good kite school, with the school’s equipment.
Once you can ride on your own, and go upwind with the big school boards you will be able to ride the wakeboard easily.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:19 am

Definately don't start on a wakeboard with bindings.Try something like the new Naish Twin Tip's, or a directional. Learning with foot straps will be much easier and less dangerous and you won't get stuck in your board in a critical situation.I would suggest taking lessons from a qaulified school and learn the basic skill's before moving to a more advanced style of riding.One thing you have to remeber is going to a wakeboard you have to have lot's more power, and that requires you to hold more edge wich in turn requires more skill.Also remember that a traditional wakeboard does not hold an edge like a wakeboard designed for kiting.
I ride a Naish Hazmat,favorite kite is Naish Aero 10.00.

Scott
Colona Watersports

Return to “Kitesurfing”