Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

launch hooked in?

Forum for kitesurfers
fokiten
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fokiten » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:21 pm

I think it is important for me to mention that. Everybody who has the wind direction to stand on land and have the launcher in the water "CAN" go kiting without ever launching the kite. Just find the edge of window hold bar with one hand have launcher step out of way and walk the kite out to your spot put on your board bring the kite up and go. ANY questions??? this is a fact.

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BigSmelly » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:26 pm

A OK, but I missed the part where you didn't launch the kite...

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 pm

:grin:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:55 pm

Good points have been made about how much risk you want to take on in kiteboarding. It is a risky sport to begin with and that is ok. It is merely how much risk you want to take on, once you know that you are taking it and the options of avoiding it, if you choose to. All I can toss out are ideas on what may help to avoid going through some of the accidents/incidents that I have read about or experienced. The rest is up to rider to decide and ride the way he will.

Some photos from a soon to be released collection of ideas of one way of launching appear below. Launching unhooked, with the chicken loop tied off is depicted in the following photo. It takes time to develop the judgment to determine how much trim strap and chicken loop to take in and still have a easily flown kite. In more extreme overpowered conditions I wouldn't even attempt doing this as you won't be able to comfortably hold the bar. In riding in such conditions you have already chosen the degree of risk you will fly in and as long as you know that, it is fine. If you launched unhooked and are hit by a strong gust you just let go and allow your tested kite leash to sort things out.

This is a photo of the rider with kite in anti-lofting position, hooking into the fixed harness like to grab her board just before the water. At no time does the kite come anywhere near the zenith while on or near shore.

FKA Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Copyright 2002 FKA, Inc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2002-10-30 18:00 ]</font>

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:57 pm

With the chickenloop you have the ability to depower you kite even more so if you know what you are doing then chickenloop isn't a bad move...

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:00 pm

Beginners shouldn't need to use the chickenloop anyway as they shouldn't be out in overpowered conditions and they have poor kite control...... so if launching hooked in they are asking for trouble.....

BLOWN AWAY

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:02 pm

Like fokiten I tend to kite along much of the time.... no-one else around (everyone working, wussing out due to cold winter weather etc). So I have to launch and land solo..... you just to need to know what you're doing.... not dangerous at all...

BLOWN AWAY

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:03 pm

oops that meant to be "alone" in the above post... :grin:

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:09 pm

On 2002-10-30 17:26, BigSmelly wrote:
A OK, but I missed the part where you didn't launch the kite...
The kite stays wingtip in water at the edge of the window until you are ready to go. i.e. in the water with yor board and out of danger. lift kite and go no launch on or near land you make the call when to lift kite. this also is a gaint pain in the ass the kite is pulling horizontal and your body weight is of no real help, but you can do it safley every time the kite will not launch even if you get pulled off your feet,just don't put the other hand on the bar.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:16 pm

Individual sport=one mans frying pan is another mans fire, "TTHHERRE ISSSS ALLLWAYYS SOOOMMETHHINNGGG" "UGOTALUV THE SICKNESS TO LUUV THEE RRISKK". Kites rock people are the problem!

Return to “Kitesurfing”