How to pick up a board?

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:58 am

Ok, if another kiter looses their board and is obviously not going to make it back to pick it up, how do you pick up the board and carry it to them.
If both your and the other board have leashes no prob, just attach the leash of the stray board somewhere and body drag or what?
Can't imagine it being too healthy kiting along on your board with the other draggin behind.

But what if neither board has a leash, I know some people have a backup leash (reel or whatever) for things like this but what if you've got no leash, how can you control the kite and two boards, one on each foot?? :smile:

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:43 pm

easiest way is to drop into the water next to it, grab it and place it across your thighs, then carefully set off again. to get going you'll find you need loads more power stroke and your balance will be all over the place.

once you get good at toeside the simplest thing is often to just ride straight past it toe side and pick it up by the front footstrap making sure to lift the nose.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:07 pm

Sounds like a balancing act both ways

Adolfo
Medium Poster

Postby Adolfo » Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:55 pm

If it’s not a very big board, I would suggest to stop at it’s side, put your forearm (or wrist depending on the arm size) through one strap, both hands back on the bar, and sail out.
I never did it with another board, but my launching area is a bit tricky, so I usually launch the kite on land, and walk to the water with both hands on the bar, carrying my board in that way.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:15 pm

Arm throught a footstrap? Fast way to the orthopedic surgeon!!

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:33 pm

Yeah I was thinking about that too Adolfo but it sounds like it could get nasty.
What about if there's a wicked shore break and you want to body drag out or can't stay on the board for any reason, maybe you got hurt and want to get back to shore but don't want to loose the board, same thing. I thought about holding the board in one hand but you won't have great control over the wing like that.
Probably the best way like Rick said is have a leash on you so you can use it if you want to.
Anyone else?
Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-01 15:35 ]</font>

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:43 pm

I just go ride by them and grab them as I go past. I then hold it in one hand, maybe under that arm and fly my kite with the other hand. I ride back to shore or to the rider and drop the board, collect my fees, and move one.

Johnny

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:14 pm

Sounds like a good job John

www.kite-surf.com
Frequent Poster

Postby www.kite-surf.com » Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:20 pm

That's how I do it :wink:

Just use a foot strap instead :smile:

kpipis
Medium Poster

Postby kpipis » Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:23 pm

nice,i do so but only i dont have to move my kite sinus.i have been in such situation lot of times as my friends dont use leashes.the easiest way i think is to use the board that has no leash and drug your board with the leash behind u...

Return to “Kitesurfing”