pully bar set up?

Forum for kitesurfers
1980buick
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby 1980buick » Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:21 am

I am currently in the process of making a pully bar. Does any one know how strong the pully needs to be? Also ,from what I understand I should not drill in to the carbon bar Bc it will weaken it. I assume the hole made in the bar are molded into the bar and not drilled, am I correct on this? I know there was a posting about pully bars a while back but there has been little talk on these subjects. Thanks in advance.
Peiter

kitehead
Medium Poster

Postby kitehead » Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:37 pm

there is no need for a hole in the bar.

a rope coming from one end of the bar, going up (in app. 45 degrees) to the pully (which is connected to the strap), then going through the pully down to the other end of the bar. that's it.

as the pully is connected to both frontlines it should stand app. 600kg.

great setup, love it! kite turns so sweet, even with a small bar. and you can grab the bar in the middle with one hand only.

no chickenloop, so you have to:
edge hard!
kitehead

1980buick
Rare Poster

Postby 1980buick » Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:18 pm

thanks for the info, however, I am cutting down a bar and noticed that the way it was attached to the bar was through holes in at either end (naish aero bar) I am worried that if I only lark head the line to the bar it will slip, or that if i drill holes in the bar it will break, any sugestions?

xid3d
Medium Poster

Postby xid3d » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:14 pm

Will also chaff and quickly wear that way.

Make a leader line, loop at one end, figure 8 knot at the other.( For your flying line larkshead.)

Attach loop end to bar larks head fassion, but, pull the line through the loop, wind all the way back around the bar once( pulling against the loop ) then pass it under the line ahead of loop. Then sinch it up. It locks very tight. Creates an interlocking chain.

Makes the difference between chaffing failure after 4-5 sessions and having a line chaff free for an entire season.

-Dix-

1980buick
Rare Poster

Postby 1980buick » Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:44 pm

On 2002-11-04 17:14, xid3d wrote:
Will also chaff and quickly wear that way.

Make a leader line, loop at one end, figure 8 knot at the other.( For your flying line larkshead.)

Attach loop end to bar larks head fassion, but, pull the line through the loop, wind all the way back around the bar once( pulling against the loop ) then pass it under the line ahead of loop. Then sinch it up. It locks very tight. Creates an interlocking chain.

Makes the difference between chaffing failure after 4-5 sessions and having a line chaff free for an entire season.

-Dix-
Do you have any pics or diagrams of this, i was messing around with it earlier, but i dont think that i am doing it quite right, it seems loose, thanks
peiter

xid3d
Medium Poster

Postby xid3d » Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:41 pm

Hello Peiter

I tried to look up my knot and can't even find a name for it. Sorry, don't have a site for hot links yet.

the knot is similar to this one:

http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/constrictorhitch.htm

It follows the idea of the constrictor hitch except that it starts looped onto the bar with larks head ( no tail hanging down)

dix

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:12 am

look at any 2000 or 2001 bar.
larkheads everywhere!

Return to “Kitesurfing”