Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Prolimit QR spreader bar + Dakine Fusion?

Forum for kitesurfers
zbose
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby zbose » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:40 am

I think that I want to add one more layer of safety to my setup and use a prolimit QR spreader bar + a QR chicken loop in a setup similar to some that I have seen posted on the yahoo kitesurf mailing list. My question is, according to my local store (i haven't had a chance to verify this in person), the fusion's hooks are two wide to hook into the prolimit bar.

So has anyone been able to figure out a nice clean (cheap) way to attach the promlimit spreader to a fusion? Can you just use a spreader bar pad and then attach the pad to the harness?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zbose on 2002-11-05 01:41 ]</font>

mikes
Medium Poster

Postby mikes » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:09 am

My question is...the fusion's hooks are two wide to hook into the prolimit bar.

So has anyone been able to figure out a nice clean (cheap) way to attach the promlimit spreader to a fusion?
That is correct, the clips are to big or the Prolimit is too small. Two guys up here just ground down the clips on the Fusion. I don't like the idea of making those clips weaker. Another guy just took the clips off and used the straps but the straps started to chew through.

So I bought some 2" stainless rectangular 'rings' from West Marine and tied them to the bar using several wraps of grey spectra rope, haven't used it on the water yet

Mike S

zbose
Medium Poster

Postby zbose » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:57 am

That sounds like a good failsafe. I was thinking of getting the dakine spreader bar pad and grinding those down to fit, then hooking the whole thing to my fusion... that way I don't have to permenately alter the harness, but your idea sounds cheaper.

I guess I will go ahead and order one then :smile:

surfing buster
Rare Poster

Postby surfing buster » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:58 am

I've been down that road. i bought a qr bar from prolimit and at first just used the straps on the fusion to hook it up but the straps started to wear so i bought an extra pair of buckles from dakine and cut them down to fit. worked good a couple of times then the hook on the bar broke. it snapped off where the pin goes through the hook. So i whe to my regular prolimit bar but the modified clips started to open up so i went back to a dakine stainless steel bar. I think if you want another layer of saftey from there go with the qr chicken loop and they will be coming out with a qr fixed loop also next year.
good luck

zbose
Medium Poster

Postby zbose » Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:30 pm

Hrm, so you are saying the filed down hooks began to bend?

I currently already ride with a shackle + QR chicken loop combination (no fixedloop), but I would really like to ditch the shackle for a multitude of reasons. I think the ultimate system for me will be one with a QR chicken loop, the pro-limit QR spreader, and a mod to it that will keep the loop from falling out unless I want it to... I think it was Jo MacDonald that had the picture of it.
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ki ... %26.view=t

But of course if the bar breaks thats no help to me.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:01 pm

Where can you get a Pro-limit bar in the USA?

mikes
Medium Poster

Postby mikes » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:03 pm

Another local broke his today, that make two out of five. Only 15 or so sessions on each too. I think I'm going back to a regular spreader bar and QR chicken

Mike

zbose
Medium Poster

Postby zbose » Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:50 am

One of the guys in a shop here at the gorge said Prolimit was coming out with a new version of the bar, with some different materials... Maybe they are making them stronger? Either way I can't get my hands on one right away, so I guess I will keep looking.

Return to “Kitesurfing”