Forum for kitesurfers
selah
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby selah » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:10 pm

Can you make up your own leash?
[sarc] Cuidado ese, they're pretty complicated. [/sarc]

Hey Spork, I notice you ride for Sportvision. In which case you may know a Mr. Steinberg. The guy's a legend on stunt kites... and if he's not already out there ripping up 3rd Ave you should introduce him to the sport. He'd be a natural. Natural Born Kiter.

Big Daddy
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Chucktown Inc.

Postby Big Daddy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:23 pm

You need to take a lesson from a certified PASSA trainer. Learn the safety issues and pay particular interest to the safety of by-standers. Remember this always, IF YOU PISS OFF THE RICH LADY WALKING DOWN THE BEACH IN FRONT OF HER MILLION DOLLAR HOUSE, THE MAYOR WILL BAN KITES.

Always fly your level of experience and dont ruin it for the rest of us.

spork
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby spork » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:19 am

donnevan sez: Ok here goes.
Can I make up my own leash and just attach it to one of the lines. :?:
Donnevan, I sent you a pm. Basically it says "yeah you can make your own leash - let me know if you want me to post some details on how".

RC

dazza5172
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish

Postby dazza5172 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:39 am

I love this guys honesty!

Dazza

ccat
Frequent Poster

Postby ccat » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:54 am

donevan,
to prevent mishaps and to feel safe basically it is just a matter of knowing
the magnitudes of forces in play...
and so you have to know that a fully powered kite in the window pulls about 9 times stronger than when its edging !!!
consequently the angle to the wind should be showing on your dashboard instruments...

aloha
ac

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:58 am

Daaazza sez: I love this guys honesty!
Which guy? Big Daddy, Donnevan, or Spork? I'm gonna assume you mean one of them since I lie like a dog.

In any event Donnevan asked for it so here goes...

But first a disclaimer. I make a lot of my own stuff. I'm comfortable with it. If you're not - please don't follow this advice.

In my opinion the simplest type of leash to describe, and to retrofit to any bar/line set is the "static" type (vs. the sliding type). To make a static leash you'll be attaching a line to one of your kite lines on one end, and to your harness on the other (with some type of release).

- First thing to do is pick which side you want your leash on.
- Now put a sleeve on that side's outer line (I can describe this if needed).
- Slide the sleeve to 1/2 the kite-span (about 15 feet) away from your bar (I'm not kidding - don't go any closer - trust me).
- Fold that line right in half right at the middle of the sleeve.
- Tie a simple overhand knot in the folded over sleeved end. This will create a small attachment loop here.
- Pick the twine, razor wire, chain, or rope you want to use for your leash. I like to use something strong enough to maintain ownership of the kite during the initial tug, and thick enough to pull myself back to the bar when the kite goes down in the water. Kite line isn't a good choice. Leader lines are fine. Razor wire - not so much.
- Tie one end of it to the loop you just made.
- Attach the other end of it to your harness with any sort of release you're comfortable with. I use a basic clasp like they use on the board "reel" leashes. Some would claim that's not the best choice (and it's probably not).

You want the length of the leash to allow you complete freedom of the bar in all directions, but not much longer.

Remember that when you make a loop in one of your kite lines you'll shorten it a bit. Even up the opposite outside line by moving it a knot or two on its leader.

Now, when you release the bar, you'll be attached to the kite only by the line the leash is attached to. The bar will go twice the leash length (1 full kite span) away from you as the kite completely depowers. In most cases you can make your way back to the bar in the water, hook back in, relaunch, and resume the fun. If you're not careful you may tangle the lines too much for a relaunch.

By the way, avoid the temptation to use a wrist cuff. They pull off - really. And if they don't pull off, that hand is occupied. Connect the leash to the harness so you have either hand available to go for your hook knife if it's needed.

to prevent mishaps and to feel safe basically it is just a matter of knowing the magnitudes of forces in play...
Yeah. And have a QR and leash. I'm not too proud to keep saying it.

Have fun.

RC

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:16 am

selah sez:
Hey Spork, I notice you ride for Sportvision. In which case you may know a Mr. Steinberg. The guy's a legend on stunt kites...
Well, I ride for Sportvision in the sense that they sponsor my kites, my fast food, my mortgage, my car payments, and everything else that requires cash. That's my day job. We make the yellow 1st down line on the football field, the virtual strike zone on ESPN, the pointers on NASCAR... Sadly, no kitesurfing gigs yet.

Eric Steinberg worked for me for a few years until I moved from the development side to the ops side recently. I still spend WAY too much time yucking it up with him. But I never heard him mention stunt kites. Is it possible there's another Sportvision I don't know of?

RC

selah
Medium Poster

Postby selah » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:29 pm

He won the International Taupo Bay Stunt-Kitorama and Full-Hooray Cookout a few years back. No contest, really. Get him out there -- I bet he'll be looping the kite by the second week.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:02 pm

He won the International Taupo Bay Stunt-Kitorama and Full-Hooray Cookout a few years back. No contest, really. Get him out there -- I bet he'll be looping the kite by the second week.
Maybe you do have the right guy. I put the question to him by email just now. He is the type to hang out in New Zealand (big fan of the big sail boats). He joined me on the slopes in Utah during the 02 Olympics in Utah - and showed some natural talent. Maybe we have a winner. By the way - we call him Sparky.

RC

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:21 am

Selah,

I talked to Sparky (Mr. Steinberg :D ). He says we should hire you here at Sportvision. Whadayasay? Pretty consistent wind and nice weather here?

RC

Return to “Kitesurfing”