Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Nitro 2005 12m/ Slingshot Fuel 13 2005/ Rhino 5

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Total_reset
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nitro 2005 12m/ Slingshot Fuel 13 2005/ Rhino 5

Postby Total_reset » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:57 pm

I am (was) an addicted Slingshot user (9/13/17 Fuel) and tried some weeks ago the new Nitro 2005 12m.

I am amazed! A very smooth kite with a huge wind range. I used it from 9 up to 28 knots (75kg, 135-38 board). It is a very soft kite which is very reactive. It gives you an amazing hang time and you can go upwind like hell. When I used it for the first time I needed to familiarize myself with the soft feeling and very little pull. When landing badly I sometimes didn’t know where my kite was. However, after riding the new Nitro for a week I had no problems anymore and felt it like before. I first used the Nitro with RECON 2 but Cabrinha recalled it. The Recon 2two bar is even more reactive and unspins the front lines. However, it releases by accident. This might be one of the reasons why the called it back.

I also compared the Nitro with the new North Rhino 5. The Rhino 5 is a very good kite too with a good wind range, very good de-power and very good lift. It has more pull and is a bit less reactive than the Cabrihna. The Nitro has a looser feel (you just forget about your kite) a better de-power and a bigger wind range.

I also tried the new Slingshot 13 but there seems not to be any further development other than the autopilot (same feeling, wind range, etc.). I think the new Slingshot just didn‘t invest enough in research and didn’t push their products further. I loved my Slingshots but they are now just lacking behind the Rhinos and Nitros.

As regards the security I am somewhat uncertain: Recon works very well to relaunch your kite, but once you pulled the security the kite still develops significant power. I was almost unable to enrol my lines. The fifth element works also very well to relaunch your kite. Moreover, you can really depower your kite when you need to swim. The fifth element is definitively the better system for riding unhooked as you can link your bypass to the chicken loop which immediately depowers the kite when you loose it. However, the fifth line is a bit of az hassle and when your kite flips by accident (for example in waves) you are screwed.

Slingshots’ one pump system still beast the others. Pumping up the Cabrihna is a mess and the valves should be improved further. The North system is better but still not a good as the Slingshots.

Conclusion

I now sold my three Slingshots and got one 12m Nitro (currently RECON 1 equipped). It works very well in all conditions (waves, flat water, chop) and replaced my three Slingshots!!! Most people just can’t believe that I am going out with a 12m when they have to use a 16m. I could have gone for a Rhino too, but I think in direct comparison the Nitro2005 beats the Rhino 5 at it has a looser feel, better wind range and it more reactive.

Happy to discuss my findings with you.
8)

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:16 am

Hi,

What do you mean by "more reactive"?
Did you try Nitro 12m of '04?

Thanks!

Total_reset

Postby Total_reset » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:45 pm

"More reactive" means that it turns faster and reacts quicker to an impulse given to the bar.

I also tried the Nitro 04 12m. I found the Nitro 04 gives you a huge lift but I perceived it as a less balanced kite. I found it only good for jumping but not in waves because of the lift combined with less depower. The wind range is miles away from the Nitro 05.

It does also not have the smooth feeling when riding. In a direct comparaison with Slingshot's Fuel 05, Nitro 05 and Rhino 5, the Nitro 04 is lacking behind.

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wawando » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:54 pm

Hi,

You have left me very curious to check Nitro 05. One of the main features of R05 is its "reactiveness" which is by far the fastest i experimented so far in '04 or '05 kites. Did you check 5th Line length? "delay" (or lack of reactiveness) is caused by 5thE too short. Add 10cm at 5thE LE attachement point (12m or 16m).
Did they change kite AR? '04 17m is soooooloooong that is turns too slow for today's standards... R05 16m looks like a 12m turning when compared to it. Another thing that R05 has is it's "locked" shape. No "bar wobble" like you see in most of the other kites.

See you!

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:26 am

Havent' tried the Rhino 04. As regards the Nitro, Cabrinha added PROSPAN which seems to give it a better windrange. For the R05 I haven't checked the length of fifth line. However, the R05 is a very fast turning kite too...but just try a direct comparaison.

PS: I saw that Cabrinha is now offering a bypass for riding unhooked (Handlepass) which activates RECON as soon as you loose your bar.

CAdz

Postby CAdz » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:19 pm

I saw that Cabrinha is now offering a bypass for riding unhooked (Handlepass) which activates RECON as soon as you loose your bar.

Very important It will activat the recon but without releasing the the line.

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:55 pm

Hi Wawandoo - can you confirm huge windrange and exceptionell low end of R5 12 ? I´m undecided yet if to skip my beloved Vegas 14. 18/12/9 is my option. Why didn´t you go for R5 9 and trade in your 8+10 ?
Life is hard when it comes to quiver decisions .. :wink:

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wawando » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:31 pm

Hi Foxi,

Still undecided? I finally found someone worse than me on that area ;-)

Yes, R05 12m has a HUUUGE range (16m too). Low end & high end. Super confirmed. Last weekend i was talking with a slingshot guy that goes from 13m to 9m loaded and i am on my 12m with all the comfort.
You can bet on it for 100% it is really a amazing kite (note: i have tried almost all the kites in the market but never had a chance to try any Vegas).

About exchanging the 8m+10m for the 9m, i almost did it, but then added some pieces: i have two kites that i really love and that have not even the smallest fault. So, why change two perfect kites for one that i don't know? AND i can choose between my 25m vs 23m vs 20m line sets and that is not easy with 5thE bar.

What are your current plans? What are your best options? Thanks!

Good luck!

monty1269
Medium Poster

Postby monty1269 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:58 pm

I have the R4 18. An option is to add a 14R5 and 10R5 - make sense? OR just go to the 12R5 and have a two-kite quiver.

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:31 pm

I was so long on 16/12 and always missed someting in between when kiting sea conditions. Vegas 14 I used every day last summer in Cabarete the first 1-2 hours, then switched to Vegas 10. Size 14 is my entrance ticket to fun and ease. It´s so hard to imagine even a very good 12 to be doing it. Good news is that on 24.March I´ve to leave for elgouna and if not loosing the option to ride new stuff there, I need to decide next 3 weeks. The most complicated thing for me is that 95% of all R5 riders don´t know Vegas. I really hated R4 18 and had much better jumps (apart flat water only) with Vegas 12 rather than R4 12. Therefor it´s not a criteria for me if R4 guys love R5 as I´m not compliant with their decision base. I did come from Fuels 03/04 liked everything but their hangtime. That´s quite different from anyone coming from highARs.
When Vegas 18 came out last year nobody new from the very beginning how god it was overall and nobody could predict how much appreciated it would be in the community. Don´t ask me what I felt when a mate let me try Vegas 18 compared to my R4 18. Was one week old and immediately sold. Bottom line is I want to purchase new stuff to have a nice easter vacation and something to unwrap, but with 2m snow in from of my house I can´t decide on own testing ..
Dwight is helpful already, but I think I need an R5 only if it´s something like a improved/pimped Vegas 04 rather than R4-type-successor.
18/14/10/7 will much likely be my quiver. R5 12 to Vegas 14 comparison would help to decide for 18/12/9 optionally.

Return to “Reviews”