Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fastest way to make a backline flyer turn?

Forum for kitesurfers
Hernan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Hernan » Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:03 pm

Hi, Jo.
The line setup you described is perfect. The chicken at the bar position is not the riding position, generally you are riding with the bar in the middle or so of the depower range, (I m right?) So the kite must be full power at this position, oversheeeted at the botton and depowered at the top of the range. This will vary with wind strengh as sometimes, as in light winds, some oversheeting helps on having more pressure at the bar.
How to make ANY kite turns faster:
Longer bar, shorter lines, pulley bar, more wind.
This summer, shorter bars are hot, if you used something bigger that 20", you are a chicken. With large kites (14+) I have more fun with longer bars as the kite turns faster and with less effort.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:15 pm

Thanks Hernan,
Re: The line setup you described is perfect. The chicken at the bar position is not the riding position, generally you are riding with the bar in the middle or so of the depower range, (I m right?) So the kite must be full power at this position, oversheeeted at the botton and depowered at the top of the range. This will vary with wind strengh as sometimes, as in light winds, some oversheeting helps on having more pressure at the bar.

Exactly

So fastest way to turn the kite if it's trimmed to slightly oversheet with the depower at the bar it to slightly depower it, with the bar in the position where the kite has max power with the tips even?

Jo

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:14 pm

Jo,
There are so many variables, turn for jumping, transition, sine, high wind, light wind, etc.
If I think about it, I believe that when jumping you usually go from semidepowered (sending the kite back) to powered ( kite at zenith) to depowered again (coming down). In transitions, like jibes and turns depends on the move, (one handed or two, speed, etc.) but generally speaking, the kite has to be powered to turn at its max rate. (A little closed if you fly SS).
If you have the kite well trimed, it works naturally, you adjust the AOA as the kite "ask" for it.

Dr Surf Australia
Medium Poster

Postby Dr Surf Australia » Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:24 pm

On 2002-11-07 15:41, Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:
I asked this in another thread but got no answer.
Fokiten said oversheeting is useless, does this go for all kites or just front liners? I would like to know whether a back line flyer turns fastest with the tips even or slightly oversheeted (ie flying more on the back lines).
Is there no reason to oversheet a back liner (SS Fuel)? No more power (less actually sounds like), turns slower, flies further back in the window?
Until now I've been flying the fuels so that all 4 lines are tight with the depower at the bar and this means that the last 5 cm of depower near the bar slightly oversheets the kite and they seem to fly ok like this or is it better to have the tips even with the depower at the bar?

One thing I've noticed is that when the kite turns with the bar fully powered the tip I'm pulling on (by pulling that side of the bar down) flares more than the other which obviosly has the line looser with that end of the bar higher.

Ta chaps
Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-07 15:59 ]</font>

Dr Surf Australia
Medium Poster

Postby Dr Surf Australia » Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:37 pm

On 2002-11-07 15:41, Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:
I asked this in another thread but got no answer.
Fokiten said oversheeting is useless, does this go for all kites or just front liners? I would like to know whether a back line flyer turns fastest with the tips even or slightly oversheeted (ie flying more on the back lines).
Is there no reason to oversheet a back liner (SS Fuel)? No more power (less actually sounds like), turns slower, flies further back in the window?
Until now I've been flying the fuels so that all 4 lines are tight with the depower at the bar and this means that the last 5 cm of depower near the bar slightly oversheets the kite and they seem to fly ok like this or is it better to have the tips even with the depower at the bar?

One thing I've noticed is that when the kite turns with the bar fully powered the tip I'm pulling on (by pulling that side of the bar down) flares more than the other which obviosly has the line looser with that end of the bar higher.

Ta chaps
Jo
Hi Jo.

Whether oversheeting is of any benefit to you is something only you can determine. I find that sometimes on my kites, F-One, Airush Lift & G-Arc that oversheeting can be a benefit while at other times it can be detrimental to performance.

There are so many variables apart from the type/brand of kite such as windstrength, board speed, board size/type, flatwater or chop, skill level, your weight and even tiredness.

Also how much oversheeting are we talking about? I've seen kitesurfers so oversheeted that the kites were virtually unflyable and they were blaming the wind!

You have to get out yourself and do some testing. Go to the extremes of over and undersheeting and then work your way back to a sheeting angle that feels best to you. You will then have experienced the whole gamut of over/undersheeting and will have the best idea of what works for you and your kit. Kitesurfing with some friends will also help with comparisons/testing.

Other peoples experience is no substitute for your own. Have fun, Dave (Dr Surf)

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Sun Nov 10, 2002 3:01 pm

On 2002-11-10 10:56, Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:
Thanks man,
I can't beliiiiiiiiieve no one except you and fo had anything to say about this.
Anyway, so you reckon best settup is so the kite doesn't oversheet even slightly when the bar is fully powered?
Or to keep the setup like this so you can get more lift and turn the kite slightly depowered (so the tips are even if it was at zenith)?
Jo
Well EXCUUUUUSE US! :wink:
I dont read everything here by far. Prolly the case for alot of people. Anyway, out of spite, now I'm not going to answer you at all SUCKA!

My fuels have always been trimmed like yours...all lines equal hooked into both loops, slighty over when hooked only into main. But I rarely ride hooked only in the main....when I do, the wind is light, and I find that by using the cleat to shorten my front lines some at that point, gives me a better performing kite. In other words, I trim it with the cleat to where the tips are not flaring....or the lines are more closer to equal being hooked into just the main loop.

AIGHT!?! DAMN! I hope like a mofo that I answered you azz to yo muthaphuckin' satisfaction beyatch! :wink:

Pea's Out!
Johnny

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:18 pm

Jo the bottom line on any gear tuning is always yours to make,I find if I force myself to be obective and honest without regaurd to outside influence the truth becomes crystal clear, This is what you have to do or else you will be forever questioning if you understanding of the advisers! When you take charge and become the clearing house for input you become the pro. make sence?

Return to “Kitesurfing”