Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How much kite does a 270lb. person need in 8-15mph winds.

Forum for kitesurfers
fokiten
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fokiten » Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:38 pm

DWight, We will need credentails if you wish do be god, Whats up with the weenie stuff? I have seen your influence here on the site, I also am prepared to bow, your highness. But what is up with cut and dryed don't listen to anyone but me stuff? you ok? what??????? who is you,

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:08 pm

For example we kiters with a few seasons under our belt know for a fact that a rider of any size on any kite can be rag dollin through the air if you loose control in the wrong situation, The trouble with blanket statments in kiting is that they are always wrong when view over the entire spectrum of possibilitys. If in fact you know your ass from a hole in the ground (I assume you do you are well regaurded hear) you will be the first to admitt your statment lacks credability, and perhaps you are just feeling extra knowagable this morning. If that is the case do not respond i will give you a pass. Many many good factual posts are yours to claim. If on the other hand you are inclined to lay claim to being the last word in all matters kiting, i would be happy to address the matter as my pet peve is folks with attitude handing out quesstionable advice. I respect most of your posts but definatly not this one, Dwight.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hernan » Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:37 pm

Dont worry about your size as kites are very powerfull.
8 mph, forget it, maybe 12 for start with the biggest beast out there (2 more than the average 180 lbs guy).
Buying a 20 is a good option if you coud learn in waist deep max water. If it is deeper, forget it, or go somewhere else. with larger sizes relaunching is an issue.
Your small kite (20+) is going to be around 14 (flat). This is your second option, getting the small size for learning on a big board. Board size and planning area makes a big difference.
Is very like windsurfing, one or two sizes bigger than your friends, and you are going faster than them.
The only "special" piece of gear are perhaps flying lines. Get the strongest you can found (800+) Your harness will last one week too.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:48 pm

On 2002-11-10 20:08, fokiten wrote:
For example we kiters with a few seasons under our belt know for a fact that a rider of any size on any kite can be rag dollin through the air if you loose control in the wrong situation, The trouble with blanket statments in kiting is that they are always wrong when view over the entire spectrum of possibilitys. If in fact you know your ass from a hole in the ground (I assume you do you are well regaurded hear) you will be the first to admitt your statment lacks credability, and perhaps you are just feeling extra knowagable this morning. If that is the case do not respond i will give you a pass. Many many good factual posts are yours to claim. If on the other hand you are inclined to lay claim to being the last word in all matters kiting, i would be happy to address the matter as my pet peve is folks with attitude handing out quesstionable advice. I respect most of your posts but definatly not this one, Dwight.
I think you should re-read the original question. The guy is 270 lbs and must live where the winds are light. He also said he would be getting help from other kiters. My advice is right on the money. Maybe you don't kite around any big boys to see what they really ride. I've been kiting since August 1999 and I kite 12 months of the year, every year.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-11-10 23:49 ]</font>

kitemaster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Binnenschelde
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam
Style: having fun
Gear: Slingshot REV 9 + 13mtr
Airush protoy 135

Postby kitemaster » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:10 am

I'm 100 kg and started 6 month's ago with a 16 mtr Rhino and a 1.7 mtr board. No problem.

Just trust the force :wink:

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:28 am

Magic Carpet - How's about an update Callum? Do you have yours yet? I'm tired of waiting for a report!
It's in customs at the moment, should be released tomorrow - weds at the latest. Conditions permitting I should have a report for you at the end of the week!

BTW - it's only 2 weeks today since I ordered the board - pretty good turn around on undergrounds part I think!

Callum

Cal
Frequent Poster

Postby Cal » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:31 am

The above post wasn't supposed to be anonymous...

Double Pup,
I'd recomend a FlexiFoil Storm 16m. It's not a foil - it's a lei like most kites. It has lots of low end grunt and is a moderate turner, that can be made to turn even slower (good for when your powered up!), If you happen to be in australia I know there are some awesome deals going on these kites at the moment.

I'm 220 pound and this is currently my biggest kite - Hence getting the 'magic carpet' board for lighterwind kiting...

Cheers
Callumb

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:43 am

On 2002-11-11 00:10, kitemaster wrote:
I'm 100 kg and started 6 month's ago with a 16 mtr Rhino and a 1.7 mtr board. No problem.

Just trust the force :wink:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:21 am

Hey double pup,
I would agree with what Dwight said about probably never using the smaller kite. Dwight and I are almost the same size and I never use my 9.0 (not since February). I pretty much exclusively use my 16 X2. If you look up a previous thread on Underground Boards, you can see that MY biggest problem has been having enough power. This has been my biggest dilemma in what to recommend my friends get when they get started. A smaller kite that will be gentle to learn on (but almost never use after learning), or the kite they'd most likely use all the time once they're competent on the water? Most people don't have the money to throw on several kites before they've gotten into the sport! Decisions, Decisions!

Sorry to keep bugging ya Cal, I'm getting antsy to get on the water. Who'd of thought I'd be getting skunked for 2 weeks worth of wind in HAWAII! :???:

SENDIT!

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:39 pm

On 2002-11-11 11:21, SENDIT! wrote:
Hey double pup,
I would agree with what Dwight said about probably never using the smaller kite. Dwight and I are almost the same size and I never use my 9.0 (not since February). I pretty much exclusively use my 16 X2. If you look up a previous thread on Underground Boards, you can see that MY biggest problem has been having enough power. This has been my biggest dilemma in what to recommend my friends get when they get started. A smaller kite that will be gentle to learn on (but almost never use after learning), or the kite they'd most likely use all the time once they're competent on the water? Most people don't have the money to throw on several kites before they've gotten into the sport! Decisions, Decisions!

Sorry to keep bugging ya Cal, I'm getting antsy to get on the water. Who'd of thought I'd be getting skunked for 2 weeks worth of wind in HAWAII! :???:

SENDIT!
Also notice I recommended slow turning big kites. They will be forgiving under the guide of his friends, plus they will turn better at his weight.

Return to “Kitesurfing”