Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How much kite does a 270lb. person need in 8-15mph winds.

Forum for kitesurfers
shunter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby shunter » Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:23 pm

I agree and disagree with dwight. Confused? That’s ok so am I at least that’s what me mum tells me. On with it, I am 115 kgs about 250lbs so almost up there with you

There are a couple of options Big board smaller kite or smaller board big kite. Or big kite big board and this is what you will need if you even want to get away in 10 knots.

What are your water conditions? Shallow water, over depth water, flat water, water with waves. Can you be dragged into hard things. Is it steady wind or gusty (can you have gusty 8-15 mph winds?) If you are really only getting 8-15 mph (9-14 knots?) you are going to struggle to get away on a 16m or less LEI kite. Buts its hard for me to recommend giving a learner a 20 meter kite to go and play with.

Big boy learning experiences

For me I started on a 7.5 AR 5 Naish and a 205 stonker and got trashed in 18+ knots. Now my smallest kite is a 12 m which I have used in winds 20 knots up to 30 + knots

Another guy (100kgs) who started about 3 months ago has started on a 14m kite and 160 twin tip is ripping in 15 + knots.

My opinion for what its worth is get a 14-16 m mid aspect kite (Areo, RRD 4.1, ocean rodeo, sling shot, toro, flexi, strong kite, any I have missed) All these kites are easy to relaunch and a bigger board learn ya kite skills and trade out in a few months, light weights in your area should want a 16m kite so you should have no problems selling it. (only guessing)

Now to disagree High aspect kites will work for heavier guys Dwight you just need to learn kite skills and not rely on grunt to get you thru. I suppose I am lucky but I live in a place far far way where the sun shines all day and the wind blows 17+ knots every day and the beaches are uncrowded and the chicks and guys if ya bat that way sun bath nude…… ah no that’s lasts nights dream

Any way I fly one of the before mentioned “ stay clear off if you are big and fat “ kites and luv the extra hang and speed of turning I get from it. My kiting has improved heaps. But we do get good wind.

Don’t worry you will have fun with what every you get and I bet ya 10 bucks you will sell all your windsurfing gear within 2 years.

Shane

shunter
Frequent Poster

Postby shunter » Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:24 pm

I agree and disagree with dwight. Confused? That’s ok so am I at least that’s what me mum tells me. On with it, I am 115 kgs about 250lbs so almost up there with you

There are a couple of options Big board smaller kite or smaller board big kite. Or big kite big board and this is what you will need if you even want to get away in 10 knots.

What are your water conditions? Shallow water, over depth water, flat water, water with waves. Can you be dragged into hard things. Is it steady wind or gusty (can you have gusty 8-15 mph winds?) If you are really only getting 8-15 mph (9-14 knots?) you are going to struggle to get away on a 16m or less LEI kite. Buts its hard for me to recommend giving a learner a 20 meter kite to go and play with.

Big boy learning experiences

For me I started on a 7.5 AR 5 Naish and a 205 stonker and got trashed in 18+ knots. Now my smallest kite is a 12 m which I have used in winds 20 knots up to 30 + knots

Another guy (100kgs) who started about 3 months ago has started on a 14m kite and 160 twin tip is ripping in 15 + knots.

My opinion for what its worth is get a 14-16 m mid aspect kite (Areo, RRD 4.1, ocean rodeo, sling shot, toro, flexi, strong kite, any I have missed) All these kites are easy to relaunch and a bigger board learn ya kite skills and trade out in a few months, light weights in your area should want a 16m kite so you should have no problems selling it. (only guessing)

Now to disagree High aspect kites will work for heavier guys Dwight you just need to learn kite skills and not rely on grunt to get you thru. I suppose I am lucky but I live in a place far far way where the sun shines all day and the wind blows 17+ knots every day and the beaches are uncrowded and the chicks and guys if ya bat that way sun bath nude…… ah no that’s lasts nights dream

Any way I fly one of the before mentioned “ stay clear off if you are big and fat “ kites and luv the extra hang and speed of turning I get from it. My kiting has improved heaps. But we do get good wind.

Don’t worry you will have fun with what every you get and I bet ya 10 bucks you will sell all your windsurfing gear within 2 years.

Shane

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:20 pm

If you are in a light wind area you may want to consider a Flysurfer Psycho. These have much more power than a comparably sized Tube kite. Also, you should consider a big board. A big board will allow you to get away with a smaller kite - which faciltates learning. The Fat Bastard board is now available in both directional and twin tip configurations.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:20 pm

If you are in a light wind area you may want to consider a Flysurfer Psycho. These have much more power than a comparably sized Tube kite. Also, you should consider a big board. A big board will allow you to get away with a smaller kite - which faciltates learning. The Fat Bastard board is now available in both directional and twin tip configurations.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:21 pm

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:22 pm

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:19 pm

I thought slingshot disontinued the LFB directional board.

My experience with that thing (although I'm only 185#) was that it rode great in flat water but was a sloppy POS in any kind of chop.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:55 pm

[quote]
On 2002-11-11 19:19, Anonymous wrote:
I thought slingshot disontinued the LFB directional board.

They are coming out with a twin tip version for 2003. It might be just the thing for our 270 lb friend. He has enough weight to keep it under control in the chop.

Cal
Frequent Poster

Postby Cal » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:00 pm

Sorry to keep bugging ya Cal, I'm getting antsy to get on the water. Who'd of thought I'd be getting skunked for 2 weeks worth of wind in HAWAII!

SENDIT!
No probs dude, How do you think I feel, for the two weeks the boards been on order we've had 10-12 knot days most days... aaargh!
Now today the boards due to be out of customs and the forecast is for 25-30... If it's 25-30... I won't be travelling the 30mins (hour round trip...) to go pick up the board... That'll have to wait till tomorrow :razz:

Send me an email so I get your email address and I'll send you info as soon as I get the thing...

Cheers
Callum

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:06 pm

>>>
The only "special" piece of gear are perhaps flying lines. Get the strongest you can found (800+) Your harness will last one week too.

I'm around 270 pounds. I'm using 300kg spectra on all 4 lines, made them up myself. They do at least a season. Decent kitesurfing harnesses last just fine

Return to “Kitesurfing”