Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sydney area in December

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:01 pm

Anybody got any info on kitesurfing around Sydney in December. Whats the wind like strenght and consitency? Are the spots busy at the weekends and fairly empty in the week. What spots are worth travelling to from Sydney for day trips or a day or camping?

kieran
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kieran » Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:30 pm

Hey Anon,

I live in Sydney and so should be able to point you in the right direction. Generally speaking, we don't get much wind in the mornings. After lunch the sea breezes kick in and that is the best time to get the kite out. Generally, any wind from the east tends to be cross/off shore on most Sydney beaches.
During december the winds can be a little gusty. You can probably expect winds of around 10 - 20 knots during December. You can check the wind conditions in real time by vistiting http://www.ozwind.com.au/newstuff/nsw02.php3

There are plenty of good kiting beaches in and around Sydney. The problem with the beaches around Sydney is that they get very crowed during the weekend, not so much with kiters but with people sitting on the beach roasting themselves. Except for a few surfers, there probably won't be too many people on the beaches during the week, and so this would be the best time to get the kite out on the beaches around Sydney.

Personally, I tend to avoid the beaches around Sydney at all times. Instead, I usually drive about 1 to 2 hours north of Sydney where you'll find some absolutely great (very uncrowed) beaches for kiting. The same can be said for the beaches south of Sydney.

Are you coming to Sydney from overseas ? If you like, drop me an e-mail at kieran_power@yahoo.com.au and I can give you some specific details on beaches to check out. When are you planning on being in Sydney ? I will be away for a week during December, but if you'd like to meet at some point I'd be more than happy to show you some of the local kite beaches.

Kieran.

Return to “Kitesurfing”