Kitesurfing while raining

Forum for kitesurfers
moray
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby moray » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:44 pm

50% of my days have thus far been in light drizzle type rain and high light grey clouds. I've not felt a real difference in flight characteristics. Its a great time the fly because the beach is quiet.

Gotta love kitesurfing in the Northeast.

peace out

MOray

gaffer
Frequent Poster

Postby gaffer » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:04 pm

the actual rain itself will not make much difference to a kites performance, I've flown arc inflato's and warriors in torrential rain and the only thing that can be a problem is getting the pre-inflation of a wet foil as the two skins want to stick together a bit, but it only an extra minute ot two and once the kite is up you dont notice.

There are other factors to consider, mostly down to local weather patterns as quite often rain is accompanied by squally or thundery conditions. It's not so much fun to do anything in the rain but it beats sitting at home.

xid3d
Medium Poster

Postby xid3d » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:15 pm

Had just got a nice lunch break session, low dark clouds blowing in from the Gulf of Mexico.
The wind picked up a bit and just as i decided to "blow off" going back to work, a water spout suddenly appeared offshore and cut across the water about 500m from me towards the beach fast, 30-40kts. An amazing sight, 100-200m tall, spinning like a top, spraying a cone of mist where it contacted the water.

The reduced visibility prevented me from seeing the water spout until it was too close to attempt avoiding. Luckily i only had to watch in amazment as it raced past me.

Dix

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xid3d on 2002-11-12 14:15 ]</font>

Rossall
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool and Como.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Waddell
Tarifa
Gear: Follow the Rabbits
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby Rossall » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:21 pm

The main problem with kitsurfing in the rain is getting wet. it's most annoying and better for drier periods with sunshine. Watch out for the lightning though a pal of mine got a serios belt of static whilst holding onto someones harness, ouch !!!

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:37 pm

Hi Mo you must be jokin, nah, I have always loved storms though, beautiful powerfull things and I've been playing with them for years, actually it's pretty hard for me to act responsibly enough to stay away from them with a traction kite. You know tryin to behave

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:49 pm

I went out with my ARCs on Sunday in the rain. It was pouring for about 30 minutes then settled down to a drizzle for another 30 mins, then we had sun. For over an hour, the kite (which is a foil) was "jellyfishing" like a 2000 model inflato. It was horrible, heavy, wet, unresponsive, and dealing with the gusty conditions, just not worth it! The performance was WAY off when the kite is dry. No lightning, just a rainstorm. Lightning can strike during a sunny day, too.

And yes...wet, muddy, grassy, sandy kites are heavy when you roll 'em up! (and stink if you don't dry them out soon)

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:30 pm

Gotta love kitesurfing in the Northeast.

peace out

MOray
awww yeahhh! ...so far november's been pretty decent here. even had a day out with a few snowflakes falling. this week's supposed to suck for wind though. MOray, who are you & where do you kite?

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:34 pm

Uoh watch it you might get wet!!!
:lol:

moray
Medium Poster

Postby moray » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:45 am

teabagging like a champ takes care of that little problem.

:smile:

Return to “Kitesurfing”