Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:40 pm

who is going to Miami end of March?
I'm planning on going on the 27th and will be there in the evening.
Would be great to meet some of you guys.
For sure we should meet at the 28th at the Ocean Drive beach and check out the masters.
Rick, do you live in Miami?
We should find a meeting point and time.
10 am at a spot at the beach would be great.
maybe Rick knows about the facility and a possible meeting point.

CU !!!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:43 pm

Hello Toby,

I hope that it is a great trip! I will be in the registration area on March 28, 2002 getting folks signed up for the AKA and FKA so that they can participate in the Masters Competition. It is proposed to have a large fenced launch and judging compound for the event. I will be in the registration tent outside that area. I live about an hour north of the event site.

See you there!

Rick
flkitesurfer@hotmail.com

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:23 pm

alright, so we can go to the tent and let you know taht we are there. If someone comes to you and says the password ("kiteforum" :lol:) you can show them, where we are?!

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:48 pm

I am going to Miami, well more exactly to my grandmother's apartment in Pompano Beach. I will be arriving on March 22nd. I would like to get some kiting in the very next day. Rick, it seems you live an hour north of miami, that should be close to pompano. Where do you normally kite? Is Ft Lauderdale nice to kite? How about pompano beach?
Anyway, I would really like to meet up with other kitesurfers from the area.
I will probably be there on the 28th, rick, I believe parking will be hell, where do you reccomend we park the cars? Or would it be better to take a cab?
Cheers,
Andres Santacruz

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:45 pm

Andres, pull up in front of the News Cafe at Ocean Drive 8th street.
Get out of the car, grab your stuff (I would already inflate the struts) and do valley parking. Then walk down the Ocean Drive with your kite and board, flex your arm muscles and go to the beach, pump up your gear, go out and win the masters.
Sounds good, eh?

:lol:

Looking forward to meet you and to rip with you. But you should come down to Miami everyday for the masters.

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Tue Mar 12, 2002 7:10 pm

Will I be able to kitesurf at the masters site? Or just be a spectator? Isn't the water going to be very crowded?
Thanks about the parking advice, it is a very good idea.
I don't know if I will be able to go everyday, since I am sort of far away, but i will try. Do you know if there will be a lot of kitesurf equipment available for demos, or for inspecting manually? From what companies?
Andres

surfer9joe
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby surfer9joe » Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:33 pm

Andres, 16th Street and A1A in Pompano is a spot a lote of kitesurfers frequent, there is a inlet to the north, smoothing it out on north winds.

I was wondering the same thing myself about the miami event, riding, spectating, etc...

Royce
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Royce » Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:22 pm

Hey guys. I will be there for the contest. I got into the event without the trials so I won't be there till the 27th. Anyone got any ideas on accomodaton there?
Aloha Royce.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:49 pm

The hotels in South Beach are quiet expensive. run Google for hotel Miami South Beach and you will find some. Cheapest way is to rent a small appartment. That's the way I'm doing it. But make sure you will stay in South Beach, it's the best for party since you don't have to worry about driving and parking. Also to relax in the room for a minute is fine too.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Mar 13, 2002 1:48 am

Hello Guys,

See you all in Miami! Unfortunately, Miami being a crowded place and South Beach being only more so, there will not be any kitesurfing for non-competitors near the event site. The beaches are just going to be too crowded near the event area. For my part aside from helping out I plan to be a spectator. North around Baker's Haulover should be ok, particularly if there aren't a lot of crowds on the beach. Pompano Beach is a bit further north but NE 16 St. has some good, often not real busy beaches and some good riding conditions. Further south there are tons of spots for assisted launch and landings a few hundred meters offshore along almost the entire Florida Keys.

Parking at Sobe is a challenge at most times. I have never been there for an event where 100,000 people decided to show up, so it might be more intense than normal this time. If you have a choice it might be better to take a taxi into the beach area.

As to hotels here are some links:

http://south-beach-hotels.visit-south-beach.com/

http://www.southbeachgroup.com/

Have a great trip,
Rick Iossi

Return to “Kitesurfing”