Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RAPTURE 12 Now 15m TEST!!! The religious experience!

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
DRAZ
Frequent Poster
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DRAZ » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:03 am

="BigIan"]that kite looks weird in the air. I ride wakestyle its not for me. Seems to sit on the backlines far to much. But does go upwind for what its worth.
Care to elaborate what "weird in the air" means.

Also I don't know why "sit[ing] on the backlines" would be bad for wakestyle.

Thanks

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:57 am

Thanks for the review!! Great to know what's coming up...

I look forward to getting my quiver 9,12,15,18... I come from Rhino 04's. So I will be able to compare once I get on them... I like to ride powered up and like to maneuver kites. Do Kite loops with the OZONE Frenzys for snowkiting ... The WW forum mentioned that the Rap may fly like some foils. So I'm hoping the Raptures will be the next generation kite for me... I'll do a review as well...

I sell WW and will teach advanced lessons here in Ontario Canada using the Raptures and Beginer Intermediate lessons on Sparks and the Rage IIs. What a combo!!! for a great season...

skagroovy
Medium Poster

rhino vs rapture....

Postby skagroovy » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:52 am

yes please let me know what you think rhino 4 vs rapture
i am pretty sure the depower will be much better than the r4
but i am intereste in turning speed, low end, and jumping height in the rap 18 looking forward to you review when you get your quiver....

jared

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:49 pm

Yeah, Hope to use them in Hatteras last week of April... I always liked to pull of the Rhino... Learn on them... Go updwind like nuts... but the 5th line rapped when kite rolled... Had the best fun on the 12 rhino... I think the Rap will be great! Turning speed and all... May be touch on power dump, when boosting and stuff... but don't mind if it puts my reaction time to the test...

DRAZ
Frequent Poster
Gear: OR

Re: RAPTURE 12m TEST!!! "The religious experience!"

Postby DRAZ » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:19 am

I think the Rapture was made to move really and to be lit, not to be static flown and hovered at the edge of the window. It is a kite that likes to fly fast forward in the window not at the edge when compared to others.
I'm wondering what you mean by it doesn't like to be flown statically. Is that just in lower winds or all the time?
When you start really boosting when powered up you realize the real power of this baby and then you just glide when you trim the bar right!
Do you find that the jumps are high, more hangtime than your previous LEIs? I know it's probably too early to say but just wondering your initial impression.
Hangtime: It’s not that far behind of some of the big L.E.I., Foil or Arc.
Does this mean it has hangtime like a larger LEI(larger than a typical 12m)?
Stability: The Rapture might have compromised stability in the air with upwind performance to a small degree but that’s not the marking criterion.
The kite is not forgiving for mal positioning when in flight and will drop you from a height if you get the bar wrong as I sad. I suspect this is related to “in-flight piloting errorâ€

John B
Medium Poster

Postby John B » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:39 pm

DRAZ,

If I may add some comments of my own:

DrLW Quote: I think the Rapture was made to move really and to be lit, not to be static flown and hovered at the edge of the window. It is a kite that likes to fly fast forward in the window not at the edge when compared to others....end

This may be in reference to the lower-end of the RAPTURE’s wind range. The thing is with these kites; the slightest increase of windspeed they respond, and are off like DrLW says a thoroughbred race horse. When they are powered fully they do fly static very nice and flying forward in the window is a good thing, because your center of effort is increased thus the windward angle is tighter.

DrLW Quote: When you start really boosting when powered up you realize the real power of this baby and then you just glide when you trim the bar right!....end

The jumps with the kite may be surprising at first, because with pilot input they can be as responsive as one desires. Meaning that you can and may not be used to the gliding potential of the kite at first. Keeping in mind that there is much more AOA than previous kites have offered, it doesn’t take much to change the AOA. With that said, we’re talking “inchesâ€

elli
Medium Poster

Postby elli » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:42 am

Which Flysurfers have you flown and how do you compare this kite to them performance wise? Can you be more specific about the quick release and relaunch comparing to Flysurfers?

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Additional explanations.

Postby DrLightWind » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:18 am

skagroovy wrote:yes please let me know what you think rhino 4 vs rapture
i am pretty sure the depower will be much better than the r4
but i am interested in turning speed, low end, and jumping height in the rap 18 looking forward to you review when you get your quiver....jared
jared, sorry I’v never flown the r4 and I’ll be getting the Rap 15m.
John B wrote:I believe the “compromised stability in the air” may be referring to the lower-end of the range as mentioned above. Most kites we are familiar with are kites with a lot of drag. In the lower-end these subtle differences will show and give us something to compare one brand to another brand. (This is a highly subjective area and the rider with finely tuned skills and knowledge will prevail, RAPTURE or BRAND X).
Yes absolutely, I mean in the lower-end range I observed that kind of pattern just like the fellow flyer noticed that "weird in the air" when I was desperate to fly my new kite in less than 13 knots. When powered up the kite is happy as I am.

The control bar’s positioning needs a technique for proper input throughout any maneuver which comes with practice.
That’s right, in other words instead of descending vertically the flight path is more like “Gliding”,
which is different from conventional kites. Works for me I used to fly hangliders.

DrLW

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:26 am

elli wrote:Which Flysurfers have you flown and how do you compare this kite to them performance wise? Can you be more specific about the quick release and relaunch comparing to Flysurfers?
elli,
I used to own the Flysurfer SpeedAir 9m and MastAir 12m kites and test flown the Psycho2 10m and 13m kites.
I wanted to buy the Psycho2 17m as a light wind kite, did a lot of research on it.
Finally when I was ready, the Speed Proto just appeared with the attributes what I was looking for, so I decided just wait and see.
Meanwhile waiting, the Rapture was released with similar attributes so I decided getting it instead of waiting for summer release of the Speed.

I don’t mean to make “PMU” like debate and bashing some brand here to compare, I’d like to answer from a general point of view.
The Rapture has some certain qualities and performance of a smaller foil types.
I broke my own record since I have it, cause I did't have the balls to do any loops. Now I do multiple loops while riding and
I can finish transitions with loops so no more stall-outs in light winds. To me that's amazing so you can controll without pulling like a truck.
About the hang-time, it’s different as I mentioned above, but with practice and board speed it just becomes better and better.
Let’s see what others have to say and what else we can do with it!
The Rapture with incredible range, upwind and steering speed can take you up to a new level IMO. That is performance!

The reverse relaunch is easy when it’s down on the LE, so you don’t need the traditional method but can be done as on the high AR LEI types. Downwind launch when the kite is on it’s TE is like a snap similar to the foil types. All that with 4 lines without any bridals.

In my opinion there is no need to use the Quick Release feature since the primary safety is built into the kite.
When you push the bar out there is a spot when the kite will completely depowers and lands at the edge of the window without any pull.

The Quick release works if you need to use it. I tried it. If you push the Eject Hood it will allow to slide the bar up on one of the front line which is connected to the safety leash. The other end of safety leash connected under the Eject Hood where it can be spinning around (you can see that metal ring on the picture). You could also unclip and connect it wherever you’re comfortable with. I hope it helped................

DrLightWind

Ps: My posts might appear I’m fully biased toward a brand, though I’m not.
The secret is I use what goes with my style and conditions, simple is that!
I like to observe gravity, nature the interplaying of the subtle forces in man,
and playing with gravity to describe the muscle and nerve sensation feedback,
when flying a kite with details of feelings. My Kitesurfing Philosophy at link:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~belachi/kite.htm

elli
Medium Poster

Postby elli » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:32 am

Thanks, that's a lot of information. What is the difference between the Rage and this kite? Is this a newer version? I heard good things about the Rage and Outrage too.

Return to “Reviews”