Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Heavy drugs for breakfast

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:36 pm

Woke up this morning and for breakfast had some o the Heavy Drug, the new board shaped by Max (Galta), Loose boards pusher :peace:
The wind was 15-20 knots onshore quite constant but sometimes a bit lully with a few big gusts, nice waves outside, nasty shore break, no one else at the beach. :crazy2:
I set up and checked everything. Pushed the nose of the Heavy Drug into the sand, tied the 5th around a strap, turned the kite onto its back and launched the 14 with the 5th, real cool. So, even if the board is nice and light it works well as an anchor too :duh:
Had a few problems getting me feet into the new straps which were a bit too tight I reckon and off I went. :naughty:
Felt right at home on the board which is 130 x 36cm. It felt really easy to ride, planes and goes upwind straight away and even when you’re a bit underpowered it still keeps planing and pointing slightly upwind, as soon as the wind picks up again you get a nice upwind angle, no problem staying out in the onshore conditions to play in the waves. The board has quite a bit of flex, especially at the tips and it feels really soft when surfing or gybing. In the jumps it holds the edge until takeoff with a nice pop, it’s a bit of a strange sensation if you come from a more rigid board because it’s a soft edge, it’s as if the board slides in the water instead of cutting through it, seems to help a lot in the chop and messy conditions, it’s hard to describe but it’s like you can jump whenever you want without having to wait.
One thing I really liked was that you can make the board accelerate or slow down whenever you want, just take your weight off the board a bit or power up the kite and it accelerates to a nice speed for jumps or if it starts to stall out in the luls, but if the wind picks up and you want to ride slow all you have to do is press down on the tail in the gusts to keep everything under control. I think you might feel the gusts less with the flex like this.
There are 4 x 5cm fins which are a good compromise between tracking and slashing, even after missing a landing or in the foam when you lose your edge the board starts tracking again straight away while you sort yourself out but never grabs a rail. You can actually foget about the board, you don’t have to think about it, just what you want to do, or try.
:surf:
When I came back in I used the board as an anchor again letting the kite go to the 5th for a really smooth landing, definately a good anchor
:think:
I got the board with the straps and handle of the Contest because the original handle of the Drug is too soft for my liking, still don’t know if I prefer the original straps or these ones, they’re both really comfy, just like the pads.

Today, only kite in the air, only board in the water
:greenlaugh:

Been using Loose boards for about a year now

Now I’m off to detox
:accident:

Mac

Here’s a few pics

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:32 pm

Nice looking board... I was just thinking that color would look cool on a board... certainly easy to spot in the chop. :o

Good name too! :thumb:

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:09 am

thanks jo, i will have to try it out!! Do you have Gianvi's email by the way, maybe you could PM it to me? Thanks
Andres

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:37 am

Hi Dax, yeah they're certainly going for the livelly colours this year.
They also do Strong Drugs and Light Drugs so take yer pick on what gets you high
:wink:
Mind you my first question was, "Like if I'm already on da heavy drugs what do I want the light stuff for???
:bye:

Toby posted some pics and sizes here:
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2306913&start=0&p ... highlight=

Hi Andres, pm'd you mate
Got a chance to see, not try unfortunately (no wind) the new H-core and Contest, the Contest is even more flexi than the Drug, same construnction with Abs rails and wood core, think the shapes of the 2 are the same as last year

kitingkt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitingkt » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:23 pm

hey jo,

how wide are the tips on this board? can you actually flex it on land by pressing in the middle or do you just feel it on the water.

thanks
kt

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:37 pm

Hi kt, dunno I can measure 'em if you want. You can definately flex it on land, there's more flex and rocker at the tips and much less at the centre, you can even bend the tips a little with your hands. Real hard to describe the feeling on the water, wouldn't say it feels flexi really but I've only had one session on it yet, the closest I can go is to say it feels more like its a soft edge sliding through the water rather of a hard edge cutting through it

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: North orbit

Postby taabsr » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:17 pm

the boards on the video trip to brasil in http://www.x-klam.com (main page, first vid) are all the small drug 130*36 with other paint job. i've used it for 3 to 4 months now and helped testing for durability and the board rocks!!!

my favorite board!!!

mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mark van haze » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:35 pm

well i just got my heavy drug board and i had a very nice but at times gusty 12m session.
info:
-wind between 15-20 knots
- I weigh 73kg
- im not sponsored or anything by loose

The first things you notice is that the board weighs very little - nice handling for any board offs. Also the rockerline really gives the board a surfing feeling - something i only know from my larger boards with a strong rocker line.
The board runs very smooth through chop and im no expert , but that flex on its tips (u can really bend them with your fingers) seems to smoothen the ride very well.
The board cuts like a knife through water and the take off pop is very good. Its very easy to find the sweet spot when jumping.
If you let it flat it will ride through lulls without problems - that did suprise me a bit, but pleasantly.
When overpowered you only need to press harder on your rear foot and it it will send the kite nicely to the edge of the window.
The footpads rock! Super comfy and easy to adjust.
I gave my mates on the beach the board to try out and everybody felt very good on the board - so id say its not too subjective.

Hope this helps - I can only recommend the board especially for its incredible price.

Return to “Reviews”