Wipi Depower?

Forum for kitesurfers
Xboy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Xboy » Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:37 pm

Guys help me out, has anyone found a good solution to get rid of all that depower the Wipi's seem to have? problem is I find my self over sheeting all the time. I know some people knot the PU tube but is there any other way?

Thanks in advance..........

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:13 pm

Besides the knot(when bridles are removed) it's a matter of learning.

Especially the 11.8. Since I mastered the depower, I want nothing else. I had a Rhino16 first which has no depower, but switched to the AB2002 a.o because of the depower.

I ride now with the PU tube removed and no knot and I love this way of kiting even more.

Perhaps you just need to adjust the lines.
I set mine in such a way that when I fully sheet in, I still do not OVERsheet the kite. (the outer end of the kite will clearly change)

There's also a way of flying an AB in light winds. In a way that when you steer the kite up, you also depower it so it flies faster. When you steer the kite down, you also power the kite. This way you get very powerful strokes
(dutch link: http://www.wipika.nl/antwoord/weinigwind.html )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sake on 2002-11-13 23:17 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:36 pm

Hi Xboy,
When I first started I found the same problem with my Wipi's. I solved this by putting a stopper on my PU tube (same principle as tying a knot, just neater and easily removed later if need be). If you look just below the cleat where the PU tube finishes, there is a small piece of webbing that is folded around the tube and stitched on. I just replicated this further down the tube where I wanted my bar to stop. I now can't depower by pushing the bar forward but this doen't bother me. I just use my trim strap instead (I use a Naish strap instead of the cleat system). One other benefit I find is I can let go of the bar totally without depowering which is great for no-hand tricks.
Brad.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:40 pm

Xboy:
If your problem is oversheeting is just a mater of trim your front to the right lengh.
An Airblast dont like oversheeting so whem the bar is full sheeted the kite must be only slightly oversheeted. This problems are more evident in light winds (less than 12kt).
The long depower range on Wipi bars is there because when you are using the bridles you actually reduce the depower range in half. If you dont use the bridles, and depending your riding style, the depower is too long. If your bar has the PU tube, my advise is to cut it and ride with the rope only, you will have much more feeling. With a knot you could adjust the effective lengh of depower to your needs.
Hernan

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:11 pm

If you change to bridles, you won't have the "oversheeting" problem, because you reduce the depower effect like Hernan says.

But if you wan't to ride without bridles (I do right now...), I will say:

Get used to it !

Without bridles you can always feel the pressure from the kite - so you will not oversheet when you advance in skill.

And we need the oversheeting often - f.ex when doing tricks with low kitespeeds, and we wan't a sudden "spinnaker" effect from the kite, to give a very short extra pull.
And you can in some cases "pump" the kite to obtain longer airtime.

I would NEVER have a stop on my depower !

Of course you could have a stop now, and remove it when your skill level gets better.
But why not learn gradually instead ?

Just my opinion...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter_Frank on 2002-11-14 13:15 ]</font>

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:05 pm

I hate that wipi bar, Iluv the cleat and that nice rope but that pvc skin through the plactic hole gives me the willys i dont even like looking at it, I hate that sticky bar.
Depower good, oversheeting over rated. depower good me like depower depower goood!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”