Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
windshreder
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rapture 15m/18m test at the kite show Cabarete

Postby windshreder » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:20 pm

Decided to start a new thread rather than tag onto the 12m review.
I am intermediate kiter 75kg.

For those not familiar with the Rapture it is a pure 4 line kite, no bridles or anything extra. The kite can reverse relaunch by pulling on the rear lines and also normal relaunch.

Day 2, Friday, Got to ride the 15 and 18m Rapture.

starting with the 18m. I flew it in about 12 kts with a Stonker 37.
The kite needs a larger and faster board than my Stonker at the bottom end. The kite works well getting you up to speed and developing apparent wind when on a small board in underpowered conditions. So you have to go off the wind a bit first to build up some speed then cut back up and then it goes upwind quite well. A directional or a board like the Flysurfer Door should make a great combo for ultra light wind days.
I prefer fishing when its that light but if you want to go out Im sure you could make it work in really light wind. I was told they made a mod on this one to tweak it that had opposite effect on performance. So this kite is a preproduction model that they are not quite satisfied with so a few more tweaks before the final one is decided on I think.

I tried the 15m Rapture in12-18kts. also on my stonker 37 (133cm flat, 137cm total)
Really different feel than any other kite Ive flown other than the 18m Rapture. Light bar pressure easy turning loops very well and fast flying and moderate speed turning. It did not spike the power on and off at all. Very smooth feeling. At the bottom end of the range it would also benefit from a faster larger board than my stonker. At the upper end 18kts, I barely had to sheet out to depower it. It did not loose any of its feel when sheeted out and turned exactly the same as when moderately powered.
I flew the kite into the water to test the reverse relaunch. I had no instruction on how to do it (didnt want any). I grabbed both rear lines and pulled them in about 2 feet. then kite lifted off the water on one side and backed itself completely right side up. I let the lines go and the kite opened up and flew up to 11 o'clock with no bar input. I was told later all I had to do was pull one line and it would have rolled over and relaunched to one side. This is a kite for the advanced rider, not a beginner.
I enjoyed flying it.

Disclaimer.
I do not work for Windwing and do not own any Windwing kite. I do have a B-Safe bar that I paid full price for. I am friends with BoardingBob from Windwing and he asked to come down to test their kites and give them as much feedback on them as I can. They asked me to post my honest opinion of the kites and that is what I posted.

I will also post a review of the '05 Best Yarga 17 soon.

skagroovy
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby skagroovy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:35 am

how much do you weigh????

thannks

skagroovy
Medium Poster