Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Test light wind kites on light wind conditions.

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
windaddict
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Test light wind kites on light wind conditions.

Postby windaddict » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:18 am

I've been reading reviews and comments everywhere about light wind kites like Best's BFK and Cabrinha's Contra but I hate the fact that all reviews are about the smallest versions of these kites (16m) at not so light wind (15-25 knots). So what the hell?

Last easter I had to put up with constant 8 knots winds from 7am 'till 7pm everyday so I decided it wont happen again and ordered a new kite targeted to the lowest wind possible. Best's 21m BFK claims 4knots low wind.

I invite the companies to test their kites on real low wind conditions so they dont come with crap like "the 16m turns like a 12m (at 20knots) Can't wait to test the 23.5m" which will never happen because they test at beaches with constant high winds.

For many, less than 15knots it's not even worth to go out, but for some us who live with this kind of wind year around and are addicted to the sport, there should be a hope.

ntks
Medium Poster

Postby ntks » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:39 am

This is a friend of mine in about 10mph on a 21mtr BFK. Honest. He weighs about 180. The thing is you wont probably believe it until you try it.
Mike.Image

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:28 pm

Your wrong I posted the 21 BFK review on Sunday
here it is

Hi Guys here is my "real no BULL review!"

I'm a previous Rhino 2 20m fan I rode mine for 2 years until total destruction and have been on the quest to find an equal / better replacement! The kite I have decided on is the BEST 21m BFK. I have had the kite on loan for the past few weeks but have held off on reviewing it due having been out on it in far from perfect conditions i.e FOG.

WHAT YOU'VE GOT TO APPRECIATE IS I WEIGH 101KG!
Yesterday out on the big BFK for 3hrs made my mind up that this kite is as good in the jumps and far better on the upwind than my trusty old 20mR2. It will also work alot better for lighter guys as the R2 20 was just for the heavy guys!

Wind when i went out was 9/10knts when we came in it was 18/19knts
Screams upwind gaining speed fast.Board was a best float 135x44 (good quality light wind board) In the jumps just send it from quite high to just past 12/1 and you get big air, boost is great taking me by surprise. Adjusting bar position (sheet out)nearing the apex of the jumps also effected the lift,then slightly steer the kite forward and i was amazed by the glide & with this glide you travel,boy do you travel! I was having to be careful on jumps as to not land on the beach as were in my favourite jumping spot the creek in Cleethorpes.
The ability of the kite in the jumps height/hangtime was mentioned to me by several other kiters (which speaks volumes), one of which that is testing the 18m BFK this week!

Thanks BEST & the EXTRA 30% off comes in very handy
Personally I would have bought the kite anyway but it keeps the girlfriend happy! The money is better in my pocket I

COMMEN SENSE KITEBOARDING & BETTER THAN A RHINO 2 20M!

windaddict
Rare Poster

Postby windaddict » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:33 am

Nice pic mike. You are right, I can't believe it!! I can't wait to try it on my own. That's the kind of conditions these kites should be tested on.

Fat Blockes, you said you went out when it was at 10knots and came in at 20 knots so let's say 15knots average, the BFK 21m high wind is 12knots, so you were testing the BFK at its high wind. The review I would like to see is at the middle point or less, lets say 8 knots (or 10knots for a guy your weight). IMHO It isn't really helpful a review of a "4 knots" kite tested on 20knots.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:40 am

What you've got to appreciate is that when i went out at 9/10knots i was jumping then over the space of 3hrs it just got upand could happily handle the power,but i was really lit up at 20.
Would you prefer me just to review the first 40mins when it was really light 9/10knots+if you think anything is going to work in less your dreaming even the past master RHINO 2 20m wasn't as good as this new BFK.
Just for rigging details i had the 5th Line set 9knots down & front lines 2inches closer to the kite than the back lines.

adam

ntks
Medium Poster

Postby ntks » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:41 pm

I think Adams review just reinforced the huge range of the kite and it's pretty much what we found. You can get out in 7-8, 8-10 you are getting some float, 15 and I am lit. Adam says he weighs 105kgs so he can hold it down a lot longer. Awsome range for him. Adam you need to try an 115cm board in like 25. Just have someone hold you down before you go out.
Mike.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:48 pm

:-?
I've got last years misfit 122 i'll try that!

windaddict
Rare Poster

Postby windaddict » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:06 am

Let's put this on perspective. I sometimes go out on 10 knots with my windtech rebel pro 11.5m and amazingly as it seems, I can stay on the board. When it picks up to 12 knots I can easily go upwind. My friends have 14 CO2 and a 16 Access and I can match them out there. I'm the heaviest packing 80kg. I made my own low wind board: marine plywood, rockerless, sharp rails, finless, 156x45cm, goes upwind like hell.

You see... it's difficult to get the right wind at the right time (weekends) and at the right place (maybe it's blowing at the lake but not at the beach).... so I must adjust to what I get, I can't afford mentally to have a weekend without kitesurf... so I'll be happy if you tell me that I can go out on 6 knots, jump at 10knots and if it drops down to 4 knots, manage to get back to shore. If I get 20 knots I'll switch to the rebel pro.

Do you get my point?

ntks
Medium Poster

Postby ntks » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:35 pm

Yeah I get your point and it's a good one. It's just that ....your point... it's an individual thing and you will have to try one. This kite will double my kiting this year. Here's me in 3mph... not enough to kitesurf but I got a work out.
Mike.

http://www.northtexaskitesports.com/ima ... railey.JPG
Last edited by ntks on Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

srod
Medium Poster

Postby srod » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:20 pm

looks like you'd be higher if you had you feet on the ground... :lol:

agree with the subject of the thread though!

Return to “Reviews”