Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

It's all here! Cabarete.

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:53 am

How's: easily 20kts...most kites under 9M..and then this afternoon I counted 33 at about 4:30pm. Amazing place where beginners and pro's all share the same area. The windsurfers are far away and kiter's all get along. Everybody launches and catches.
The beginners start way upwind and end up way downwind, but the pro's don't scream. Everybody is very cool about it.

Only one time did I see two very good guys crossup. French, Dutch or German is spoken everywhere. Lucky me - English is also accepted. The locals are pretty focused on Spanish but Hell it's their home.

All Toby's friends from the magazine are here, as is the reported designer of F-One (I don't know what he looks like). Leave any foil home. Directionals too. This is 4-line/TT country. One one ARC was out being tested by the magazine. No civilians showed up with ARC's or foils (I'm leaving mine in the bag)

Mostly Naish and Wipi, but AirRush Lifts, Takoons, Boosters, etc. The good news is the R3's and Free Airs were mixing it up perfectly with all the new kites.

Oh ya - very important - the place is CHEAP. Compared to any other Carib resort area, I'll be this is half the cost. I picked the wrong hotel, but I post my report after I move up towards the kite area. I am now too close to town.

My North 12M was too big today, but I'll get an early start manana. More later.

Wish you were here - well, maybe next week.

Jim

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 14, 2002 2:14 am

What about a flat water section? I've heard Cabarete is really choppy and not that suitable for wakeboard tricks because of this fact.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:41 am

If you go to where rio Yasica reaches the ocean 10km east of cabarete, you will get some of the flattest water in the world an a VERY strong and consistent wind blowing with +2-4 knts compared with the wind in cabarete.

this spot is only for experts...

Thomas

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 14, 2002 10:04 am

ok, Jim, I'm on my way :wink:

Sounds great and I'm always happy when someone is having a great time!
Enjoy kiting until the sun goes down and even after that.
Say hello to all the guys and ask Toddo to try his new board. Tell him I send you. You will be amazed!
Don't forget to give the testing team from the mag your new toy to write a test about it.
Please do me a favour and tell Toddo to read his private messages!

Enjoy
Toby

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:20 pm

If you're looking for lodging options in Cabarete, one of most convenient, affordable places to stay is Kite Beach! There are many options available from kite beach to Cabarete Bay, depending on your needs, level of comfort desired, and budget. IF you want help, http://www.kitexcite.com has agreements with 10-12 properties, from budget to luxury, hotels to bungalows.

Regards from Cabarete,
Marina

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 14, 2002 9:09 pm

I've heard about the flat water spot you speak of but I've also heard only 4 or 5 people can ride it at one time. Is this true?

Thanks a lot for the information!

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 14, 2002 9:10 pm

Also why is the spot only for experts, just curious?

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:51 am

Yes it is true that the river yasica can only hold about 4 or 5 people. You must be "expert" because if you can't go upwind, you and/or your kite will end up in the trees! After you play on the river, you can have a nice lunch or refreshment at the restaurant on the river, then go downwind to Cabarete Bay or Kite Beach (7-10km. But on the way down, depending on the wind velocity and swell, you have waves, sometimes high wind waves, reef systems, etc. to navigate..... Not that difficult but beginners that are just starting to go upwind often have a hard time. My first time, it took 2.5 hours! It usually takes about 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how fast or slow you want to go and play around.

Marina, kitexcite in Cabarete

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:06 am

I am looking for a spot with some flat water section in the Carribean similar to kitebeach on Maui. Know of any? I want to be able to drop my kite and have it land on the beach where a friend is waiting, not in the trees.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:17 am

I am looking for a spot with some flat water section in the Carribean similar to kitebeach on Maui. Know of any? I want to be able to drop my kite and have it land on the beach where a friend is waiting, not in the trees. Any ideaS?

Return to “Kitesurfing”