How to gybe overpowered without getting wasted

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:21 am

Hi guys, I've started kiting overpowered (top half of the kite's wind range) and have no probs until it comes to gybing. I've tried two methods.

One, I keep the kite high and fully depowered the fly it back real slow, stalling the board almost to a stop then start off in the other direction, works ok but isn't exactly a gybe.

Two, full speed I turn downwind fly the kite back and skid the board round, at this point I'm going bloody fast downwind most of the time with the board skiding sideways completely out of control, kite drops into the window, bam, I get wasted.

I talked to a mate who's way hotter than me today and he said, dive the kite down then stall the board out without turning it downwind and fly the kite back from low in the window but it sounded like it would be easy to fly the kite through the window like this, which would waste me again.

Things I could be doing wrong, flying the kite back too fast, flying the kite too low back through the window, not leaning upwind enough or at the right time, turning and riding downwind to much so the kite picks up a ton of apparent wind, not depowering enough, trying to edge too early (wrong timing), letting the kite get too high or fly too low, I dunno.

Any advice?
Thanks
Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-17 12:18 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:04 pm

Just need to practice turning the kite and edging in harmony to control tension in the lines. If a big gust hits you mid gybe then improvise and turn the board straight down wind to ride towards the kite. as you feel tension go, then snap upwind hard (on new tack) of dive the kite. usually I find I have to progressively dive and power the kite as I go through a gybe no matter what the wind....

Are you on a twin of directional? I ride both...

Overpowered shouldn't matter once you get the hand of it. I even loop the kite sometimes when gybing (even when overpowered). I don't recommend this unless you are ready for a wild ride downwind... But even then as the kite comes out of the loop and head towards the edge on the window on new tack, you have to edge to stop the kite falling.

Just keep on practicing... Gentle kite movements at the start and more agresive at the end usually works. The harder you point downwind and faster you go the more agressive with the kite and vice-versa...

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:24 pm

OK thanks, I did turn and go with it downwind as I got hit by a gust and after the gybe I ended up going toeside downwind fast without a lot of edge and this gave the kite a load of apparent wind and I ended going so fast downwind I didn't wait for the tension to drop but tried switching to backside anyway and ended up with the board skipping sideways at full speed, maybe staying toeside would have been better but I didn't really fancy this so overpowered and so fast in gusty conditions.

Re: usually I find I have to progressively dive and power the kite as I go through a gybe no matter what the wind....
Yeah I do this when less powered but I was trying to keep it as least powered as pos, and I also think my timing was off because the kite flies a hell of lot faster in stronger wind. Smaller board goes and turns a load faster too.

I'm riding twin tips, big directional in lightwind

Maybe it's just a question of not trying to avoid going downwind fast but using it as an escape route like I saw in the "Overpowered edging" thread and also adjusting my timing to the faster, overpowered kite and smaller board.

Thanks for the input.
Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-17 12:33 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:12 pm

Want less power in the turn: Point the nose of the board slightly behind the kite - follow the kite throughout the turn. If you feel too much power, you are edging too hard and getting ahead of the kite while it is in the middle of the window - this is why you are getting yanked hard. It feels counterintuitive at first to send a powered up kite directly through the power zone. It goes against everything you've learned so far - and its just plain scary. This is why you edge hard to resist in anticipation of getting yanked. But this is making it worse. Just follow the kite and edge only hard enough to maintain medium line tension. This will result in a big, sweeping, graceful turn instead of a quick snappy turn. This type of turn is easier on a smaller powered up kite than on a large powered up kite because your downwind speed is faster which keeps the board planning nicely. So don't be afraid to try this on a small kite also. You will be relieved at how much this technique depowers the kite.

Want more power in the turn: Point the nose of the board slightly ahead of the kite throughout the turn. If you loose line tension, edge hard/snap turn immediately.

I always turn the kite aggressively upon initiation and then straight accross the window. Steady power this way. A big rainbow flight pattern works also.

Alan

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:42 pm

i find it's all in the timing. alan's got it - follow the kite with the tip of your board. if you're too far behind the kite, it'll overfly you and you won't have power to ride out of the turn. if you're too far ahead...well, it seems like you've experienced that part already.

one other thing i've found is that being aggressive with steering the kite back is the best way because you'll need to maintain power to do a nice carve. if you do a gentle arc back then you're basically depowering, stalling, and then re-starting in the other direction. like you said, this isn't exactly a jibe. keep the kite down fairly low in the power zone to maintain power and to also maintain a low angle of pull. this helps you to maintain an edge through the turn. if the kite's too high it will lift you off your edge and you wind up skidding downwind and often regain control once you're too far downwind of the kite. it sounds scary to send the kite back so aggressively, but it's actually easier to control your carve this way. you know how in many sports/activities you actually need to just go for it because you need some speed/power for the equipment to work properly? this is one of those moments. and as you get the timing down, you can whip it around even more aggressively and as mentioned, even looping the kite (i do this in light wind and it helps a lot by creating good board speed and apparent wind), then you can throw some serious spray!

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:45 pm

That's brilliant guys thanks,
So really I just have to go with it instead of trying to resist the pull.
I agree about getting pulled off the edge if the kite's high.
I had actually got there but got the timing wrong, trying to snap the board round and edging before the kite had flown through the window and was going towards the edge, so like you said by edging I ended up with the kite in the power zone flying fast and me edging trying to resist the pull (fat chance) and without any board direction any more.
Next time I'll go with it more and follow the kite round until it has flown across the window and starts pulling before snapping the board round and edging upwind

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-17 15:47 ]</font>

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:53 pm

Hey, now this is a great, super informative thread! Up till now, I have had absolutely no technique on my jibes, turns, whatever you call them, just went for it, sometimes nailing it, but often loosing it, or doing the slow down, stall, speed up in other direction jobbie. I finf that jibes from regular to goofy, I can nail down nicely, but never actually stopped to think why. Good thing you pointed this out. :grin:

I have a little problem with the goofy to regular jibes, that maybe you haven't taken into account. Chop, swell, etc this is my out in the ocean jibe, and it is very choppy out there, this makes it a lot more difficult to get a good arc happening - any thoughts on this?

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:38 pm

Yeah good stuff, this skiping board out of control thing probably says more about your state of mind than any technical deffect. If you are sceptical and warey going into a transition you are going to be tense, stiff etc. this is why the board will not sit down and edge! Relax grasshopper, you are master of your gear! For the speed control if you want minimum speed,drive board and kite up hard to windward as you loose speed bring up the kite now spin the board, you will have almost no speed and bring that motha hard across the sky and sheet out over the top and assess what you will need for power and make your play, AHH see grasshopper you have all the powers of the wind in your hip pocket, and your peace of mind delights the wind god and he shall smile on your enterprize>>> stiff & worried = bouncy = the reason your stiff and worried. The circle of doubt has been exposed. you are the wind and the kite and the board!! grasshopper Ahh!!

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:20 pm

Re: If you are sceptical and warey going into a transition you are going to be tense, stiff etc.

Yep definately, I was out with a 16m kite in wind gusting from 12 to 20 and it felt cool until it started picking up speed as I turned into the gybe downwind, then I reckon I tensed up, like "wat the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUKK" splaaaash

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:36 am

About a month ago I was getting pasted doing the same stuff but only a week ago things just fell into place in regards to the jibing of a wakeboard.... I guess it just takes practice, practice and more practice....

BLOWN AWAY...

Return to “Kitesurfing”