Rigging 2003 Fuels (Pigtail variations)

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:44 pm

Ok, I nicked this pic from Johnny's previous post, maybe someone who's tried the 2003 fuels and played around with the pigtail settings can help me out.

Right so
1 kite flies faster, less lift
3 kite flies slower, more lift

X less depower, more bar pressure
Z more depower, less bar pressure

I get the front pigs and the bar pressure but logic would say that X should depower the kite more on a principle of levers, or no?

Anyway, what about turning?

Is
1 + X slow turning
3 + Z fast turning

What about

1 + Z (lines farthest apart)
or
3 + X (lines closest)

Thanks chaps.
Jo

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:31 pm

Ive a Fuel 17m2 2003, and what i found is:

1-Z -> Maximum Turning Speed, less bar pressure and more Deepower.

3-X -> Turning Speed Ok, less deepower, more bar pressure.

Usually i only fly my 17 in light winds 8-12 knots, and i use the 1-Z setup because i like a quick turning 17m :smile:. About the lift i really dont know. Have to test more.

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:49 am

Pedro seems about right to me with what he says. Is we all clear here?

Johnny

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:13 am

Almost, thanks John,
What about
Is?
1 + X slower turning, faster flying, less depower
3 + Z faster turning, slower flying, more depower

That sound right?
Jo

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:31 pm

Yes sir. Sounds much better and more accurate as opposed to your first post.

Johnny

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:18 pm

Hi Johnny,
And will 3 + Z turn faster than 1 + Z?

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:49 am

I've only used my new 15 a few times so far, so take what I say with a grain of salt. The most important tuning aspect for me so far is power setting. If I think I am going to be lit, I use setting 1. If I think I will be underpowered, or at least not overpowered for any significant length of time (maybe an occasional short gust), then I use setting 3. So front line settings are changed session by session, depending on wind strength or how lit I want to ride that session. This is particularly important on my largest kite, since this is ideally the only kite that I would ever go out on underpowered (because hey, even when you can barely stay even, you can still do small jumps and spins and have fun). On my smaller kites, I can basically use the same attachment points all the time.

As to rear lines, set according to your preferrences for: chicken loop throw, bar pressure for both turning and sheeting, and to some extent, turning speed. Once you determine you rear line preferrence, you can leave it for all conditions. So far, I am just leaving it on the rear most setting.

This kite turns somewhat fast on all settings, so its not like I have to get used to anything different if I alter the front line attachment points each session.

I don't know why the power is changed by changing front line attachment points. But is seems like there is more to it than just sheeting in. If sheeting in was all there was to it, then you could power up equally on any attachment point. I am curious to hear from Slingshot or from someone who can explain why this is the case. Perhaps the camber or other shape of the kite is changed by the different load dispersals????

The new Fuels are great kites! No need for a pully bar on the larger sizes.

Alan

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:04 am

No Jo....It won't turn faster. Moving the front lines doesn't affect the turning speed that much at all.

The reply above is pretty accurate as well. The turning speed doesn't seem to be THAT much affected by moving the rear pigtail settings, more of just bar pressure and sheeting as said above. I mean, it does turn just a bit slower on X than Z, but both are pretty damn fast. Surprisingly fast actually on the large kites.

The post Alan wrote seems to me to be pretty dead on. Is this how you are understanding everything so far?

Pea's Out!
Johnny

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:10 am

Yep, gottit,
Thanks guys

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:15 pm

Alan:
About the different front line attachment points, the farther back you go, the closer you are to the center of effort of the wing. It make it fly more on the front lines so you get a sense of power throught your harness. Its posible (Im not sure) that different front line settings induce little changes in the actual profile of the kite, in fact it looks different, and if it doesn t change, Why it has more power?

Return to “Kitesurfing”