Have or Know about a Kitesurfing Ban?

Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Mar 18, 2002 11:34 pm

I was just talking with Andy Heaton of KiteHigh and a suggestion he made hit home and this email crystalizes the idea. We talk about bans and risk of kitesurfing bans frequently. Some folks need more than something as abstract as a risk to motivate them to protect access. To that end, I would like to create an international database of kitesurfing bans. This will serve as a heads up to kitesurfers about what has happened, where and why. Most importantly it will give riders hard examples on what we ALL NEED TO WORK TO AVOID HAPPENING where we kitesurf.

So, if you know about a ban, not a threatened ban but an actual "no kitesurfing here" situation, please cut, paste, fillout and email in the form below to me PRIVATELY for inclusion in the database. The database will be located at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/ ... 0Database/

So please contribute, we are all in this together.

Rick Iossi
flkitesurfer@hotmail.com

Kitesurfing Ban Information Form

Location of ban (city, state, province,etc., country):_______________________________________________________________

Specific beach or launch name: _________________________________________

Reason for ban:____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Is someone or an association working to reverse the ban Y or N, if yes who is doing this?______________________________________________
email address: _________________________________________________

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:51 am

once again a great idea, Rick.
Whatever I'll hear I'll contribute.
The bans I know so far are some reductions that kitesurfing got a small launching area (like kitebeach Hawaii) at some lakes.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Royce » Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:34 pm

Hey, I just heard yesterday from a good source that the ban on Maui is being lifted in the near future to allow kiting along the coast again except infront of the airport. Check with HKA. Later.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:22 pm

Our lobby is getting bigger and bigger every day!!!
Very good news, Royce!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:40 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I also put this idea out on a couple of other forums. Several concerns have been brought up on the kitesurf@yahoogroups site about the database being used to support new bans. It could indeed come to that. Another idea that came out was to form one of bans that have been reversed which may make more sense. I am still looking for input on this. I don't want to undertake something that seems like a good idea but in fact may not be.

Rick Iossi

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:09 am

But if we have a list of bans it would be better to look it up to check before you travel. Could nothing be worse than planning a trip and when you arrive a sign tells you that you have to go to jail if ripping here :razz:

IMO both would be good.
A list with bans and when reversed just a stamp over it: OPEN AGAIN for everyone to see that they can go with a kite again at this beach.

Aloha
Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”