adjusting 8.5 airblast lines 2001

Forum for kitesurfers
SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:40 pm

hello kite friends.. im trying to figure out the adjustments for this kite.. im new at this all so not up to date w/ the terms of each line so bare with me.... but there are diff knots for the conection to the pully system.. or i think call it leading edge.. from what i know depending on the wind power, it can be adjusted.. im trying to now get the kite to fly in very low winds till feel safe.. however it only seems like its flying in stronger winds for some reason... do i have it all out of wack.... help if you can... thanks STEVE

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:03 am

Hi Steve,

is the bridle still attached to it?
The bridle is the line between kite and your lines with a pulley.
This makes the kites faster and easier to steer.
If it is not attached there is only a small 30 inch line with 2 or 3 knots.

Toby

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:19 am

TOBY YES.. 95% SURE THE BRIDLE IS ON.. ITS SET UP W/ FOUR LINES NOW.. I THINK THE 30INCH LINE W/ THE KNOTS IS STILL ON AND ATACHED TO THE PULLEY SYSTEM/?BRIDLE... WHEN I CONNECT THE BARLINES TO THE KITE, THE OUTSIDE LINES IM CONNECTING TO THE VERY END OF THE 30 INCH KNOTED LINE? THIS MAY BE WHERE IM GOING WRONG.. CRAP ITS HARD TO EXPLAIN... DOES THAT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION..
THANKS TOBY

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:03 am

here is a picture:

I hope this helps.

One thing to remind, because you might not know:
the steering lines (left and right at the bar) have to be attached to the back of the kite and the depower lines in the middle of the bar have to be attached to the front of the kite. Make sure there is no twist in the lines. In this picture the the steering lines have to be attached to the line below and the depower lines to the line above.
Normally the kites lies with the leading edge (fronttube) at the ground, here they put it the other way around for easier connection of the lines.
Make sure, not to fly it alone. Before launch check the lines carefully, have someone hold the kite at the edge of the window (90 degrees angle to the wind). Now check if the lines are connected the right way (outside lines to the back, middle lines to the front, no twists. Have someone hold you at the back of your harness and then get it up.
Do this in very low winds!!! Now you have to get the feeling for it.
Best would be launching it while standing in water and then play around with it.

Did you already get a video? Tehre are many videos out there. Also Wipika videos on how to set up the lines, launching, restarting, jibes, etc.

Let us know about your first day!

Greetings
Toby

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Wed Mar 20, 2002 5:20 pm

HEY TOBY... YOU KNOW AT ANY RATE I DID HAVE THE LINES BACKWORDS... I HAD THE OUTSIDE LINES GOING TO THE LEADING EDGE AND THE CHICKEN LOOP LINES GOING TO THE TRAILING EDGE.. I DO HAVE THE ARIGINAL AIRBLAST WIPIKA
VIDEO... AS I CHUCKLE I WATCHED IT SEVERAL TIMES.. I THINK WHAT MAYBE THROW ME OFF IS WHEN THE LEADING EDGE IS DOWN.. THEY SAY TO REVERSE THE BAR????? WHEN HOOKING UP LINES..
LET ME ASK OR TELL YOU.. WHEN FOR EXAMPLE IM LAUNCHING THE KITE W/ THE LEADING EDGE DOWN,I WAS PULLING THE CHICKEN LOOP LINES TO GET IT TO FLIP.. THEN WHEN IT DID AND IS SITTING AS IN YOUR PICTURE ABOVE I WOULD PULL THE OUTSIDE LINES TO GET IT TO LAUNCH... I COULD GET IT TO GO UP THIS WAY, HOWEVER THAT IS PROBALLY WHY AFTER I WOULD GET IT TO THE TOP OF THE WINDOW. I WOULD TRY AND STEER THE KITE TO THE POWER ZONE... THE KITE WOULD COME ACROSS SAY RIGHT TO LEFT.. AND I WOULD PULL RIGHT TO STEER IT BACK UP TO NEUTRAL. THE KITE WONTED TO DO A FIGURE EIGHT TURN DOWN TOWARDS THE GROUND.. DAMM WOULD BE JUST ANOTHER SHORT FUSTRATING FLIGHT...
SO DOES THAT TELL YOU OR MAKE SENCE TO YOU THAT I HAD LINES BACKWORDS....
THANKS AGAIN TOBY....

P.S. OH YES... TO ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE LISTEN WHEN THEY SAY HAVE A PARTNER WITH YOU.. MY FRIEND IS 210LBS AND THERES TIMES IF HE WASNT HOLDING ON TO MY OH SHIT HANDLE/HARNESS.... ID BE ONE HURTING UNIT NOW..!!!!!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 20, 2002 5:41 pm

oooops.
these are the mistakes I'm wishing no one to happen. This can be so dangerous, if the lines are not connected the right way.
Next time ask us in the forum, if you have a question. Good, that nothing happend to you.
So, try again and you will see how easy the kite can be controlled!
Pull left, it goes left, pul right, it goes right.
Doesn't sound nice? :wink:

Toby

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Wed Mar 20, 2002 6:09 pm

OH YES.. THANKS...
GLAD ITS JUST THE PILOT THATS CONFUSED..
I FLEW SOME KITEBOARDERS KITES AT A PARK BEFORE.. I DID GOOD W/ THERE KITES BUT YOUR ANSWERS IM SURE WILL MAKE THE DIFFERNCE..
YOUR THE SHEEZ-NIT TOBY.......

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 20, 2002 6:49 pm

The Airblast is not a kite for beginner. You may be wasting your time trying to learn with one.

Bring it back to your shop and get a suitable kite.

There are no short cuts in learning to kitesurf safely.

MC

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 20, 2002 6:59 pm

Hi MC,

I don't agree with you.
Maybe for the beginning how to steer a kite, you right. But only a few hours later it is no problem to use an Airblast.
This way he will learn faster how to control it and to restart it.
Some guys have a big talent and pick it up just like that. Others need more time.
That's the way life goes :wink:

Toby

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:14 pm

THANKS FOR THE CONCERN MC....
I LOOKED AND SEARCH AND ASKED ?'S THRU OUT..
BIG DIFFRENCE W/ THE AIRBAST IS IM IN DENVER CO. I WONTED A KITE THAT WOULD AND COULD PERFORM GOOD ON SNOW AND WATER... I DIDNT WONT TO GO W/ A FOIL FOR SNOW AND THEN GET STUCK W/ OUT A WATER KITE.. http://www.SNOWBOARD.COM
IS LOCAL GUYS HERE IN COLO.. CHECK IT OUT.. HOWEVER THEY ALL USE TUBE KITES AND FOR 3 YEARS NOW NONE OF THEM HAVE HAD A PROBLEM W/ THE BLATTERS.. TOBY THANKS.. I DO PICK THINGS UP QUICKLY W/ TRIAL AND ERROR.. I KNOW SAFTY IS #1, BUT ALL I CAN DO IS TRY AND MAKE SURE WIND CONDITIONS DONT GET OUT OF HAND.. IM A SAILER HERE IN DENVER AND KNOW THE WINDS AND HOW FAST IT CAN CHANGE.
MC... IVE FLOWN THE LOCAL GUYS KITES AND KNOW HOW THEY WERE CONTROLLED.. JUST MADE THE MISTAKE OF LINES BACKWARDS.. NOW I FEEL WILL LEARN THIS SPORT THAT MUCH QUICKER THANKS TO THIS FORUM..

Return to “Kitesurfing”