Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

1st fatal incident in Italy

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:44 pm

Hi there,

Well, yesterday we had in Italy our frist dead due to kitesurfing. There was a great wind in the last 2 week-ends, and yesterday (sunday 24th) in Ostia we had this terrible accident. Ostia is the main destination for kite and wind surfers in Rome, is a very well known spot with very few risky points. I'm still looking for some specific info regarding the dynamics, anyway I report below a piece of a newspaper article (the translation seems bad, it comes from an automatic translator).

We are all with the family of Michele Magno.

Luca

A wind gust has thrown him in air and has made it fall to the soil, on the sand of a bathing establishment. Michele Magno, 42
years, the first victim in Italy of the "Kite Surf", one of the most spectacular aquatic sports, who has been doing fury for at least at three years is. The practising wear water skis and her hook with two robust cables to a "Kite" such to those of the paragliding. Then, skilfully exploiting the winds and the currents of air, they raise and evolutions draw on the waves. A technique which also requires big ability and prudence because who does "Kite Surf" for strength of things, often chooses the windy days and been restless with the sea.
The tragedy consumed herself yesterday morning around 13,30. Mr. Magno was on water up to the establishment "Marinella" Ostia when suddenly has been raised to quite a lot of meters of height. The athlete has not been able to give up kite or throw him soon in the sea: the very violent burst has thrown him with violence at the hinterland and the man has fallen in the area in concession to the establishment "Il Gabbiano". Mr Magno has been aidded immediately by a few boys that had come to Ostia with him but his conditions have appeared soon very heavy. Transported at the hospital, he has died little later 6 pm.
"Who practises Kite Surf must not forget that is a dangerous sport, person responsible for the athletic committee of the Lazio, it remembers Miki Galifi Cerquetti, it is necessary always wear the helmet and the jacket of saving, pay attention the Meteo conditions and consider the strength of the wind. It is a very beautiful discipline but what goes faced carefully and
not taking into consideration only the entertainment. Up to today they had been several accidents but no one, luckily,
mortal there. This tragedy imposes a reflection to everybody of us".

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:53 pm

That's terrible, I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to Michele, it could happen to any of us, please stay safe people.

My heartfelt condolances to Ilaria and Michele's family.
Jo

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:08 pm

to all that knew him. My deepest feelings go out to you.

Italia, stai attento. uso lo quick release.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:29 pm

sorry to hear this.
my deepest feelings as well.

:sad:

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:00 pm

What was the exact mechanism of injury?
was he lifted off the water onto the beach?
did he wear helmet, QR and so on?
maybe someone who has read the original italian article could give us a brief human translation of the description of the accident?
andreas

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:06 pm

Most of the article is just a description of kitesurfing.
There is some more info coming in on the italian forum, sounds like he got lofted off the beach and dragged into a bathing establishment by a gust.
Someone from the area said he was using a wipika 9 m2, wind was a fairly constant 25 knots, although some say 15-20 knots and shifting a lot
The gust was estimated at around 30 knots.
It lofted him off the beach and into a pole. He broke his leg, arm and pelvis and it sounds like a rib punctured his lung.
Another kiter was lucky because he was lofted towards the sea and fell into the water.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-25 16:20 ]</font>

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:53 pm

Hello Jo,

That is very sad news. My thoughts are with his family and friends through this trying, sad time. The shock and feeling of loss has to be overwhelming.

Jo or anyone else, could you come up with the name, phone number or email address of the nearest kiteboarding or windsurfing store or school to Ostia? I haven't had much luck searching the Internet.

Thanks and please be careful out there,
Rick Iossi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2002-11-25 16:54 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Yes, as soon as we have some news I give you all I know. I have to say that the Italian Kitesurfing community is obviously under shock for that. It seems that the wave conditions were not too bad and the guy was not a rookie.

Ciao,
Luca.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:14 pm

Hi Rick,
You could get in touch with the Sport Estremi from Ostia: info@sportestremi.org
or the FKI (Italian Kite federation): info@fki.it

Mario on the yahoo forum was the first to give the report and sounds like he was there, maybe you could get in touch with him, apparently he got lofted by the gust too but fell in the sea luckily.
Michele got lofted while walking back along the beach with the kite

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-25 18:29 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”