kiters hit by lightening in UK Cornwall

Forum for kitesurfers
EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:31 pm

From UK kiteforum -

Just got back from cornwall 3 days on water, Sat real good 30 mph (proper) 9m Hydro n' Drake 147 (14st) Fecking mad ... an today (yesterday even) 10m airblast. anyway nuff o that ......
On sat surfers got hit by lightening @ Hawks point. Apparently girl/boyfriend surfer making their way to water, girl gets it totally thro' her then hits bloke who's heart stops beating (she does Cpr) and gets him going again. Surfers in Water cop' it as well !!
Be carefull on them cloudy days i had me kids down there a few hours earlier !!
Sat marazion and im packing up after a fecking good sesh and i catches a guy out the corner of me eye face down doin' about 15 mph heading straight for the wall by the car park from the water's edge (he was in the water on board apperently) !!! "BANG" ...i sees'him hit and he's motionless !!! (SCAREEY) 4.4 m kite 30mph +o wind .... what the feck is a beginner doing out in that ... did me first aid bit recovery and called ambulance ... nasty bang to the head and poss dislocated shoulder ... (lucky he did'nt die) NO HELMET .... !!!????? what the feck are these guys doing ???? the 2 that were teaching him should know better or maybe you need some instruction yerself ???? eh !!
ON top o that fri me mate got pissed off cos he'd travelled all the way down there an cos me thought it were to cloudy i would'nt rig up he felt like he should of give it a go ????
instead we watched Mike Smith do a quick half hour sesh (Unreal mate) ... but then "he" jacked it in !!!
When them BIG BLACK clouds are looming and the local weather has said "possibily o Thunder"
You just gotta know when to say NO !!!
Be carefull you lot .!!!!!!
and i aint talking to you dudes that know the score "ALRIGHT" ....

Another account to be aware of.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:37 pm

Hi Ron,
I saw this on the brit forum, scary stuff. Don't know if you have any more info but do you know if it was sufers or kite surfers who got hit by lightning, I thought surfers?
If kitesurfers, did the lightning hit the kite or water and they got wacked by the charge?
Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-25 14:02 ]</font>

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:46 pm

Two weeks ago a windsurfer died in a thunder storm in Rio de la Plata.
We were kiting 3 miles downwind the same afternoon but we left the water before the storm begun. Perhaps this guy was too far away from shore.

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:11 pm

Hi Jo. Hope you are well.

From wat i ca gather it was the current from the hit surfers that got the kiters too.

will keep you posted if I hear any more but i expect the official (iossi) report will be along soon.

It was on network TV news too, but only covered the surfers.

Regds.

RRR.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:21 pm

If there's any static electricity in the storm, the kite does a great job of conducting it. Just before I called it quits one day, I kept getting little shocks in my hands. My friend said he was getting them too. After we packed up, a lightning storm passed through an hour later. So when you see those storm clouds moving in, it's a good time to call it quits.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:58 pm

I am sorry to hear about the lightening accidents. It is incredible that the surfer in Cornwall was revived, and by a woman that was also struck? Was that on the BKSA forum or another one? Ron, could you post the links that you found that talk about the accident.

Hernan where is Rio de la Plata, Uruguay? Do you know of a link that discusses what happened?

Unstable weather has no end of tricky issues, sudden powerful gusts, stark lulls, wind reversals and sometimes lightening. It is a great sport but it can be a dangerous world out there.

Rick Iossi

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:12 pm

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:34 pm

Rick:
I have no aditional info about this accident since we dont know him. The accident was during a suddeltly strong thunderstorm.
Rio de la Plata is a phisical limit between Argentina & Uruguay. Very big river, more than 40 miles width.

Stefan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft. Stevens, Newport, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Ft Stevens, Florence
Style: Wave, Foil
Gear: North Mono's, LP Foils, North Pacific Customs

Postby Stefan » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:46 pm

Ron, thanks for the info, glad those people are alive to tell their tale. It is a lesson that everyone should learn-look up in the sky before you launch. Just because the wind is blowing doesn't mean its kite friendly. I walked up to a guy on the beach last year who was about to self lauch and asked him if he had noticed the huge thunderhead that was approaching. He asked me if I thought it was a bad idea to go out. Sometimes the weather cues are not so obvious but when you sail somewhere long enough you can learn to recognize these patterns as well. I love the word "fecking"..sounds better than the American version. Cheers

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:50 pm

Was kitesurfing at a local spot about 2 weeks ago and the 15 - 20 knot southerly died down to nothing... these sorta large (but not frontal) clouds came over and it rained a bit but not heavy... anyway I still flew my kite until the wind totally died... then inoticed the hail stones falling on my kite.... where ther is hail there can be thunder... a bit dodgy and totally unexpected...

BLOWN AWAY

Return to “Kitesurfing”