Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Just got my 15M RAPTURE ...it's kinda an ARC on steroids!

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
aero_boy
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby aero_boy » Sun May 29, 2005 1:56 pm

good stuff wetstuff. keep writing stuff.. 2nd, 3rd test etc.. cheers

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Wetstuff » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:21 pm

....more dead air for the next few days. Another local kiter who has two Raps told me to pretend I'm flying for the first time - the kite has a completely different feel.

He's raving about the large range and upwind ability. His girlfriend is always there as his kite-caddy, so there are no self-launch issues. It may be the funky water around here, but he reports the PVC coating on the back leaders is slippery. I still think this 'back up off the water' ability without extra lines/bridles is a VERY large advantage alone...

PBK: I assume 'sheet-in' whilst twisting the bar vs. sheet-out, eh?

jim

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:56 am

Yes, sheet while pulling... one side to turn... for super fast turning... Love the 15... Powered kite loops and all... Rear relaunch is amazing...

In lighter winds keep climbing up the front lines... a little more... You can sand the leader (Plastic) Lines too for better grip and even add some stopper balls for more luxury... but not needed... The 9 was so much fun too... and the 18 gets me out when i couldn't before in 8-12mph on a big board... I like the 18 for light winds...

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:55 pm

I do not have much more time on the kite - I keep falling back on my North Vegas 16. I sold two great Norths the R2-16 and 20 and even put this Vegas up for sale..but it's coming off the sale block.

I guess I'm so used to kites that pull like tractors from low to mid-range... The Rapture (in my mind anyway) better replaces a 12 or 13. I also think the reason I don't think I can 'feel' it is because I've been mostly in its lower range. One of the other better locals has the R-15 and rips upwind over everybody else.

As I kite alone a lot, I had to solve one problem that would have made me either sell this R-15 or leave it home; self-launching....as you cannot simply throw a little sand on it.

The heavy bag on the outside provides a heavy drag base...the smaller bag on the inside holds the kite down. Put one line under the small bag and it pops off releasing the kite. Copy it if you wish. I also have it available at wetstuff.com ...under 'kite ideas'.

Cheers.

Jim

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:21 pm

That is such a cool bag.... I've been puting sand in the corner and dumping it a little hot, then back to edge and it work well... because of the sheet range of the Rap... Sure the Rap can take getting used to... and every kite is best in it's sweet spot anyway... I've been sitting my 18 on it's trailing edge on very (Lulls) light winds... while waiting for my 8-12 to ride... I sold north rhinos fot it not looking back now... It's nice to have choices though and everyone has their preferences... different styles...

I might try your bag, thanks so much... I was also thinking of making a long one, like 2' (out of an old kite leading edge) and placing over kite edge at angle......

Have fun... We're all kiteboarders either way

Paul

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:21 pm

Paul: The ex-L.E. bag would work. Yet, thnking about it; anything linear things pull more easily. Try T-shaped - then I'll nick your design if it works.

I actually had a design for an anchored raft figured out with a clamp that would hold the kite 'till you were ready. We get way too many civilains wanting to use the same little spit of sand here. You can't really tell them to "Beat it waster!". It's our job to stay out of THEIR way. I bought some materials but it would have needed a trailer to tote it to the beach and there'd be more lost time just setting up... The best I've found is to show up on a weekday preferably before 11am.

Have some good Chinese at the GOOF in the Beaches for me.

Jim

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs

Postby PBKiteboarding » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:40 pm

I don't think you'll get anything more secure than what you have there... That's a snug Custom fit!! Hey your beach sounds like mine... Ashbridges Bay here in Toronto... Where are you...?

I have seen snowkite tricks to tie down leading edges with a slip knot before... and ice screw... Could use a dog leash cork screw... steel anker... for it... Bet you have an OK sewing machine... I was looking for a Machine that I could keep for a long to to do heavy stuff and kite repairs... zig zag 3 step... was looking at sailrite machine... any hints???

Paul

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:24 pm

Eastern Shore of Maryland. Chesapeake Bay on one side and the Atlantic Ocean on the other. We're a little like Hatteras where you can either do Ocean or Bayside simply picking either side of the barrier island.

I've got about 10 active sewing machines. Your problem is most useful machines make a dedicated stitch. A zig-zag is pretty useless for straight stitch work. A Sailrite machine is something a 'liveaboard' would buy along with waist-tie pants and a floppy hat.

I'd suggest you make a cardboard pattern and take it to someone who'd sew something for you at a reasonable cost. Take your busted kites to someone like Genco Sails. Some of those fancy saillofts charge fancy repair prices.

I'd like to have a milling machine but instead found a reasonable machinist. The pisser: he can't make it right now?! ...I fully understand the need to fiddle.

Jim

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:30 pm

The centerline in the WW bar blew up on me so it was down for a week or so. I was using the bar on a North Vegas where the bar allowed for a very wide depower range but I must have overloaded it in a crash.

I got a decent ride on the 15 in some very gusty conditions. I'm pretty convinced at this point that the lack of 'feel' is because I'm not getting all the power available and flying somewhat depowered even at full-in. That may partially explain the lack of grunt in the lower ranges.. I'm going to lenghten the pigtails at the L.E. next. Unlike North, WW doesn't give you adjustment stations on the leaders so you can't make rear line adjustments. They also don't use larksheads from line to leader, so you have to undo the whole line - or drag 27M lines along with - to work on the bar.

I've also had some seam tape release on the main tube casing. As well built as they seem, the WW line (bars/kites) may actually be a little more fragile than other major brands.

jim

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:09 pm

.....if you'd like to add this 15M Rapture to your quiver: $600. get's it.

jim
25 July
800 825 1245 (US/Canada)

Return to “Reviews”