Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RAPTURE 12 Now 15m TEST!!! The religious experience!

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DrLightWind » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:48 am

STF wrote:I weigh 140lbs..
I am looking for a kite to fly in 15knts to 25 or so.

rapture 12m or 15m.....Dr lightwind? arent you like a buck60 too?

I currently have a 21m Nemi and an 8m Nemi so need to fill the gap..

Can i get away with just a 12m....or mabey should go for the 15m>?
Yes, my weight is 60kg (130lbs)
If you'd like to be more powered-up in the mid range and your local condition is providing light to medium wind more often,
than probably the 15m Rapture is the right size for your weight,
but if your local spot is providing more medium to high wind, you could get away with just the 12m with your weight.
The right selection is very important to fill the gap.

#1 the 15m can easily take over and well powered-up from where you were overpowered on your 21m Nemi
and take you up to 20knts to satisfy the mid range maybe more which is the starting range of your 8m Nemi and switch over earlier.
#2 the 12m has the advantage to give you a wider window to fill the gap to the top end of 27knts and where you left off with your 21m Nemi.
You would be fine from 15knts on a 12m with your weight but you might need a wider board to start-out to be well powered-up
and swap the board to a smaller one at 20knts.
Personally I would go with the 12m size, but you have to decide which range is more important for you and where to give-up mid or high.

Wawando,
You can get the same 11 to 30 knots if we "deal only with numbers" on the Rapture 12m with only 4 lines with reverse relaunch in that low end I guarantee.
It's easy to quote those claims, but the high end is only with the extra lines.
I bet you if a 75 to 100kg rider would try to plane on the Takoon in 11 knots they wouldn't be able to hold ground, but could make it to 30 knots.
Same token, I would be able to hold ground in 11 knots by sining the kite like crazy with my 60kg weight,
but wouldn't be able to peak out at 30 knots.

As you see those claimed low and top end numbers are just general and irrelevant when it comes to application.
People are playing games with theese numbers, so don't believe to the hype. At least Windwing was honest about the ranges.
Those ranges I gave for the Raptures are honest none biased when I compared them with other brand's ranges.
Other flyers also noticed the differences and they brought it up,
so if I'm not truthfull about theese findings here, sooner or later it would come -up anyway.
This way at least riders can decide to get the proper sizes of Ruptures for their weight, skill and conditions IMO.

What I mean also when riders are on a 9 to 10m kites you will be still fine on a 12m Rapture,
and when riders are on 12m kites you will be still fine on a Rapture 15m without switching and overpowered.

The range is the best so far so you don't need that many kites, no sweat!

DrLightWind
Last edited by DrLightWind on Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

STF
Very Frequent Poster

Postby STF » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:55 pm

thanks Doctor

igorcanario
Rare Poster

Postby igorcanario » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:11 pm

I have a 12-9 -6 Rapture,I have use the 12 and 9 for one hour each one.Winds from 20 to 32 Knots very gusty winds.72 kg. and FLX 122.Five years kiteboarding.
About depower all I can say is incredible.
About riding in gusty winds,easy to control all the time.
But in this 2 hours my jumps suck.
I think I need more time with them but the problem for me is that if I want all this range in the bar,the max. power of the kite is with the bar very near to the chicken loop and riding that way isnt confortable.I have ride with the trim strap full out and longest knot in the front lines.
Next thing i will try is to shorten the rear lines and see if it goes better.
In the jumps I have try also to sheet out a litle when the kite is overhead but in many of them I fall like a stone also gusty winds contribute.
Any advice from other Rapture owners?
Igor

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:15 am

igorcanario, I hope by this time you're already jumping and landing fine as everybody else.

I still like my Raptures for medium to high winds.
I'v been out recently on the 12m last week during the tropical depression gusting to 26 knots on 2 long sessions.
The trim strap was pulled in only 2 inches.

What I noticed when riding the Raptures it makes you to get better,
and when you switch to other high performance kites you'll be able to do tricks what you couldn't do before. :thumb:

I'm still looking for a light wind kite so I just wait little more to see how the FS-Bet goes on.
Any other light wind kite with fast turning speed coming out from the woods yet? :?:

DrLightWind

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Rockstar » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:53 am

DrLightWind wrote:igorcanario, I hope by this time you're already jumping and landing fine as everybody else.

I still like my Raptures for medium to high winds.
I'v been out recently on the 12m last week during the tropical depression gusting to 26 knots on 2 long sessions.
The trim strap was pulled in only 2 inches.

What I noticed when riding the Raptures it makes you to get better,
and when you switch to other high performance kites you'll be able to do tricks what you couldn't do before. :thumb:

I'm still looking for a light wind kite so I just wait little more to see how the FS-Bet goes on.
Any other light wind kite with fast turning speed coming out from the woods yet? :?:

DrLightWind
You tried the Hellfish didn't you ?

Big question for you:

Rapture or Hellfish? Which one ?

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby DrLightWind » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:49 pm

Rockstar wrote: You tried the Hellfish didn't you ?

Big question for you:

Rapture or Hellfish? Which one ?
Yes I had a 45 min. testing on the HF 13m.

I tell you honestly since I'm not biased to any of these brands,
I just use whatever works for me, but..............
For reverse relaunch, pluss safety and wide range in medium to high wind I'm biased to Windwing.
For hangtime and boostings in light to medium wind I'm biased to Hellfish.

For steering speed and going up-winds, both of them are better than average other brand's kites IMO.
So for me it's really hard to give-up safety and range since the unforgattable accident of Alex at our spot,
but same token I'd like to go higher with more hangtime also.

The other day I was out on a F-One M3 16m in a 10 - 12mph and suddenly picked up to 18mph from a nearby squall,
I was trying to go in and lower the kite but it had so much pull still with kite down that I had to activate the push-out safety bar to flag down the fu%*er,
Shit like this I hate cause it never happens with the Raptures and you have full control and no pull when you push the bar out.

DrLightWind

Hnqueer
Rare Poster

Postby Hnqueer » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:48 pm

This soonds good LW dr., I also try raptures and decide to get une too.
wat size you say for 68 kilos? an 10-20 conditins? I love the raptures
control and feel, this the best kite I try!

Sorry but english
not very good!

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:06 pm

Hnqueer wrote:wat size you say for 68 kilos? an 10-20 conditins? I love the raptures
control and feel, this the best kite I try!
I'm using the Rapture 15m from 12mph to 24mph range with my 60kg weight but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
in the low end till about 15mph I'm using a 159 Mutant type board and
higher up on my 128 narrow TT.

Normally if it's 18mph pluss I prefer to go with the Rapture 12m and small board.

In your case like here in Miami for light winds you might need the Rapture 18m as a light wind kite IMO which I don't have.
I'v red that average weight riders could use it between 10 to 25mph range.

You might be able to get away with the 15m size like me above 12mph with a biger board combination for your weight.

DrLightWind
Last edited by DrLightWind on Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnmelton
Frequent Poster

Postby johnmelton » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:04 pm

I have the 18m Rapture, it works great from 9 to 25mph, great upwind and depower. 25mph is a self imposed high end, you can go higher if you have to. 165lbs.

frederics
Medium Poster

Postby frederics » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:45 am

did you try the kite with different lines length, beacause of the projected area I would like to know how the kite fly with 20m lines.

Return to “Reviews”