Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hell 13 performs no better than a yarga 13.

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Hazmat
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hell 13 performs no better than a yarga 13.

Postby Hazmat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:46 pm

Test if from ikiteboarding.com
This test is from The Best HellFish is Best Kiteboarding's new flagship kite. Best Kiteboarding claims that the HellFish dramatically improves upon currently available kite designs in all aspects because of Best's exclusive use of Cuben Fiber.

Cuben Fiber is a cloth that has recently been used in sailing. It is a very light material that is made up of a combination of different Fibers. The exact combination of Fibers is not known.

The result is a very light, strong and waterproof cloth that has a shiny, wrinkly texture.

Cuben Fiber is not the only thing that makes the HellFish unique. All the struts and the Leading Edge on the kite are extremely thin. This reduces drag, and combined with the lightweight of Cuben Fiber, this leads to a very light kite.

The kite does feel notably lighter than the average 13, although I can't confirm if it is 70% lighter, as claimed by Best Kiteboarding.

I managed to test the HellFish 13 alongside a Yarga 13 at a lagoon. I was given a 45cm bar with the HellFish instead of the usual 55cm bar. The local kiteboarding shop said a 55cm bar would be too big.

On the water the kite flies with relatively light bar pressure, and it is really quick in the turns. I would say that you can compare the turning speed of the kite on a 45cm bar to that of a typical 9 or 10 square meter kite. A 55cm bar, the standard size bar for a 12 or a 13, would have turned the kite even quicker.

Kite loops was really fun and effortless on this kite. The HellFish flies similar to a Best Nemesis, but it turns a lot quicker and feels lighter on the bar. Lift and overall performance was good.

During the late afternoon the wind dropped and I was able to test the low end abilities. It felt like the HellFish had slightly less power on the low end than the 13 Yarga. Certain reports indicate that the HellFish kite has a huge low end advantage - I do not agree with this. The fast turning speed gave it a definite advantage over the Yarga even though The 13 Yarga is not a slow kite by 2005 standards. Switching between the two really showed how much quicker the HellFish was than the Yarga. Turning speed aside, you'll still struggle to stay upwind on both kites if the wind is light.

I managed to drop the kite on a few occasions - and on one occasion the kite pretzeled. (The leading edge folded in half while in the launch position)
Best Kiteboarding assured me that the pretzel problems has been sorted out in the production versions of the HellFish.

The kite also dropped out of the sky a few times in light wind by overflying me.

All this aside, I welcome the innovation and progress in kite design. I really liked the kite - the only thing I didn't like was the kite pretzeling. The HellFish is a well behaved kite. Its biggest assets are fast turning and Lift.

It must be noted that I was flying a prototype HellFish and not a production kite.

The HellFish can be flown on a 4 line or 5 line configuration.

What I liked about the kite :

Fast, quick, tight turning.
Lighter bar pressure.
Reduced weight.
Good Lift.

What I didn't like about the kite :

The kite folded on one occasion. (Prototype only problem)
Pricey when compared to the rest of the Best kites.
Not sure if Silver will be a hit with everyone.
Had some stability problems in lighter wind.

Conclusion :

The HellFish is a definite improvement over current kite design in terms of kite turning speed. The reduced drag and weight clearly contributes towards this.

If you like doing kiteloops and jumping this kite will make both effortless. Up until this stage not a lot has been done to improve kite turning speed. A big kite that turns fast is a good thing, and this 13 turns like a 9 or a 10 on a small bar.

Although the low end pull of the kite does not feel any different to that of most other kites, the turning speed of the kite will give you a edge.

All in all I was well impressed with the kite. Credit must be given to Best Kiteboarding for taking kite turning speed to the next level.

Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: sandy
Style: Kook-style
Gear: Kite + bar + board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Balloonboy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:20 pm

"What I liked about the kite :

Fast, quick, tight turning.
Lighter bar pressure.
Reduced weight.
Good Lift. "

Just out of interest, ever tried an AR Reactor?
I would make similar comments of it, particularly versus other AR stable- mates like the Flow, which is a "standard" medium aspect kite (like the Yarga?).

Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: sandy
Style: Kook-style
Gear: Kite + bar + board

Postby Balloonboy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:28 pm

HAZMAT
BTW- interesting and potentially contentious first post- welcome to the Forum (now put on your flame-proof suit :bye: )

mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mark van haze » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:10 pm

sorry but this report does not really say much about the HF.

"
It must be noted that I was flying a prototype HellFish and not a production kite. "

Until we see production kites, we dont have final results on lightwind, relaunch, etc.

johnmelton
Frequent Poster

Postby johnmelton » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:25 pm

Not to discredit the rider, but I would expect the Hellfish to be a fast kite that fly's far forward in the wind window. If for whatever reason, (flying technique, slow board speed, etc.), you are unable to generate apparent wind with board speed and/or sining the Hellfish, and keep up with the kite, you probably aren't realizing the kites potential. I would expect this kite not to have a truck like pull while parked with slow board speed because it will simply outrun you and lose power, more so than other kites. Anyone else agree?

nbbowers
Medium Poster

Postby nbbowers » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:15 pm

why are people buying kites when they arent done testing them. is marketing really this effective. I have heard that they have sold a shit tone of them already, is this true?

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:09 am

yeh,the pre-order list is substantial.

and the kite will do exactly what was said on the tin.

the rev 3 kites were awfully close to being spot on.

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vietkiter » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:47 am

nbbowers wrote:why are people buying kites when they arent done testing them.
1) Provened kite design capabilities - The Yargas and Nemies are really good kites for any price

2) The new material holds incredible promise

3) Risk is covered by the money-back guarantee of an established company

So contrary to "industry logic", customers aren't buying into G-ball hypes (only 25% of it)... they are lining up b/c
a) potential for real performance gain instead of new colors and stickers on same old '02 designs... ha seems that bashers' comments come in handy afterall :wink:
b) what's the downside? None. If it is not worth it, return it and get full refund, plus a $100 coupon toward a really good Yarga or Nemie.

jrobson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jrobson » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:31 am

vietkiter wrote:
nbbowers wrote:why are people buying kites when they arent done testing them.
1) Provened kite design capabilities - The Yargas and Nemies are really good kites for any price

2) The new material holds incredible promise

3) Risk is covered by the money-back guarantee of an established company

So contrary to "industry logic", customers aren't buying into G-ball hypes (only 25% of it)... they are lining up b/c
a) potential for real performance gain instead of new colors and stickers on same old '02 designs... ha seems that bashers' comments come in handy afterall :wink:
b) what's the downside? None. If it is not worth it, return it and get full refund, plus a $100 coupon toward a really good Yarga or Nemie.
Hi

What is the warranty on the kites btw? 1month? 6months? more? What happens if the kite falls apart in 4 months time?

Dutchie
Medium Poster

Postby Dutchie » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:10 pm

:thumb: Top Notch review :thumb:

I stick with myu yarga's for a while 8) more money for going on holiday :holiday:

Return to “Reviews”