Forum for kitesurfers
sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:36 pm

i think the idea of low aspect kites sitting further back above your head is a little bit out of date.

i agree with you that they sit further back to the edge of the wind, due to them being less effective with apparent wind. but thats not what the post was about. was it.

as for being abrasive, yeh i am, especially regarding incorrectly given advice that may be used by novice sailors as gospel regarding kiting safety.

and if i've pissed a few people off in my time then so be it, i don't see you retracting the statement, so it's fair game. i stand by the record we've manged to achieve in the uk regarding safety. 0% fatalities is as good as we can hope for.

so if i've upset you, i'm sorry, but if its stops him getting lofted with a huge grunty kite, and injured, then i'm happy.

:wink:

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:06 am

I have an Aero 20, and have been flying it for almost a year. One of the reasons the Aero is so "grunty" is because of it's deep foil profile. This also explains it's lack of depower compared to an X2. I think it's arguable that it's lowend power is due to it's moderate AR. I think the foil shape is a much larger factor.

aklbob
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby aklbob » Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:42 am

I think all kites are prone to lofting in gusty conditions, but a high aspect kite sitting further forward in the wind window while on the beach will tend to surge forward giving more vertical pull, whereas a low aspect kite will just yank you up and downwind a bit at the same time. Not a problem you say? Well if the kite doesn't get to the edge of the wind window again as you are getting lofted and dragged downwind, it keeps sitting in the power zone, and the next gust will finish you off...

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:25 pm

Hi Simon, good to see you taking part in the international forum and we will have to get you toghether with Fokiten one of these days, I'm sure it'll be an explosive event.

Back to the subject, I agree with you on the point that the low AR doesnt sit lower in the window than the high AR when at standstill, and that was the subject i was on about, but this weekend at west kirby i used my Rhino bought off stuart (shore) and it seemed to have more vertical lift than the virus I sold cos it was too damn grunty for my small frame (62klo).

I wanted to know whether I was sacrificing more safety in the name of a better ride, hence the question.

So now i conlude that the high AR are more prone to lofting and luffing in gusty winds ?

Cheers mate.

Ron.

Return to “Kitesurfing”