Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Set up for 7m Hydro

Forum for kitesurfers
Nick The Greek
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nick The Greek » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:28 pm

Used my new 7m Hydro at the weekend for the first time. I had bought it kite only, as I already had a Wipika Carbon bar (small size) and 30m lines. The session turned in to a bit of a kitemare. I had set the lines up as all lenghs equal when bar pulled for max power, but this was no good when the kite was launched, it just kept reversing back in the window and crashing. So lengthened the back lines for less tension but it just flew like a paper bag (as you would expect). Kept adjusting the settings but could not get anything were it would fly in a controlled manner. It seemed that the kite was either full power or else uncontrollable with the bar pushed forward. The wind was a bit gusty but the other riders on ABs, Rhinos, etc were ok. I have noticed that in the manual it talks about 20m lines, so I will adjust mine, but I would not of thought that it would have made that much difference. I normally ride Skoops so I expected it to handle differently but this was crazy. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Trikke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Andora, Albenga, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, tarifa
Style: Waves to wakestyle, to g' old big airs!
Gear: '14 RRD 9m + 13,5m Obsession
RRD Poison 134x43, RRD AssoPigliatutto Pro, RRD Waveoff 5'6", RRD Domingo 5'8"x21"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Trikke » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:14 pm

I use 30 m lines with my 8.9 and 13 Hydros and this is the way I set my bar: connect the lines to a fixed point,loose all the depower rope and hook in the chicken loop or snap shackle. When you pull the bar to the max you'll see front lines a little curved while back ones are straight. That's it!

Cheers

rb_stretch
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rb_stretch » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:30 am

I have a 7M hydro and have not experienced any of these problems. I have used both 2001 and 2002 Wipika bars with equal length 20M lines.

I can only think that your lines are not the correct length. Try swapping the front and back lines and using the full range of your depower strap to see if you can get it to fly properly.

If none of this works then I would take it back to the shop you bought it from.

Disco D
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jersey and Hatteras
Gear: Mixed Flexi quiver.

Postby Disco D » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:44 am

There are long pigtails with 3 knots that come equipped with the Hydro.

You should connect the front lines(Center lines) to the knot farthest away from the kite and then connect rear lines to the knot closest to the kite.

The Hydro likes to be flown off of the rear lines. The rear lines should be about 6 inches shorter than the front.

Enjoy, it is a great kite for winds around 30kts.

Danny

Nick The Greek
Rare Poster

Postby Nick The Greek » Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:58 pm

Thank you for the information people. The kite did arrive with pig tails of equal lengh on all corners, I have got some spare longer ones so will change these for the front ones, I presume this will put more tension on the brake lines. I had set the bar and lines up as mentioned here, there were slight dicrepencies in line lengh, but not enough that I thought it would have affected the flight too much. I will adjust them exactly the same at the weekend. And try again. As my wife has pointed out to me, this is her kite, not mine!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”