FUERTEVENTURA vs HURGADA vs SAFAGA

Forum for kitesurfers
madcowboy
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby madcowboy » Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:26 pm

Hi guys,I'm a basic-level kiter,I'm going to take a vacation in one of these spots but...I don't know where...any suggestions?
It'll be on april and basically I'm looking for long beaches where u can walk for a while in the sea (so u don't need boat's delivery)and 4-5 bft wind so...come on and help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 19, 2002 9:04 am

Hi,
I only now Fuerteventura.
Winds can be very strong and there is only the lagoon as standing area. This is in the South, but in summer most kiter go to the North. There is a wide beach, but I don't know how deep it is.
The lagoon is perfect for learning, but winds can be very strong.
I went there in May and only used a Wipika Airblast 4.9 (surface area 6.7), and it was VERY gusty (3-8 Beaufort within 1 minute).
In summer you mainly have side off winds very strong and thermical in the Souh. In the North the winds are more moderate. But April you can have this or that. But the lagoon always works. But IMO the lagoon will be pact and is full with water only for 3 hours at high tide. And the high tide can be at night :sad:
Check this for pics and more info:

phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=516&forum=1

http://www.rene-egli.com

But I heard good things about Hurgadha.
Steady winds and most of the time 4-6 Beaufort.
Knowing Fuerteventura I would prefer Hurgada.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Toby on 2002-03-20 14:30 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:35 pm

Do not go to Safaga winds offshore dangerous.
winds in Egypt are very changeable and not predictable. I had a bad time learning there. If I were to go again I would choose somewhere like Cabarette.

madcowboy
Frequent Poster

Postby madcowboy » Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:10 pm

Ok thank you guys ,you konw what I do???????
I'll go in Sardegna our beautiful island,gorgius beaches,amazing sea and...good wind.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:40 pm

Sardinia?
Yap, I saw very beautiful pictures of it.
Best idea to go there.

Enjoy!

more infos:
phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=435&forum=1

madcowboy
Frequent Poster

Postby madcowboy » Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:25 pm

I know it's beautiful I'm Italian!POrto pollo is only one but there are a lot of spots all over in the north and in the south...come and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!

enzo
Medium Poster

Postby enzo » Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:14 pm

Sardinia is excellent but be aware of those big "maestrale" blows...as a beginner your ideal learning beach should deliver 10-20 knots of side-on-shore wind, also once you learn how to get going on the board remember that choppy waters can be quite annoying, I guess in Porto Pollo you'll always find flat water on one side of the inlet (depending where it blows from) but those winds will blow you away from the beach too...
Also, you don't really have to go after traditional windsurf spots to get great learning kitesurfing conditions, all you need to look for is a shallow area and steady breezes since gusty winds can be quite annoying when learning. There's plenty around if you look, don't need to head to exotic locations unless it gets too cold in the area where you live. I would imagine that both adriatic and tirreno coasts with their long sandy beaches will work just fine off season.

Return to “Kitesurfing”