Test of the TAKOON Nova 12

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
frederics
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Test of the TAKOON Nova 12

Postby frederics » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:08 am

Yesterday I was lucky to test the Takoon Nova 12. Wind was really gusty 12-27knots. I rode the kite 2hours. At the first time, the feeling of the bar feel so light that you can ride for many hours. The kite is fast enough on turns (as a normal kite of 12m) and jumps really good. The timing for jumps is a little different but the hangtime is incredible. You jump soo long!!
Because the wind was gusty, kites around me were between 14 and 9m². In the lulls, I had power enough to jump easily, ride fast , go upwind. And guys with 9 can't ride. In gusts guys with 12 and 14 were out and me I was perfect with the nova 12. I was really impressive by the windrange of the kite. I tried to ride unhooked, and the kite had constant power for such a riding. It was really easy to try HP. One time I didn't succeed the handle pass and leave the bar (I used a suicide leash). The kite falled on the water as the fifth line. But for the relaunch it was really easy. I just had to pull a back line and the kite relaunch.
To summary, the kite has an incredible windrange, the really biggest I tried. It turns the same in low and high end, this is really different than my kites (Fone dream 8, north R4 16 and Takoon skoop4 11.5) and for unhooked riding the kite is perfect because of the constant power and the suicide leash kill the power all the power of the kite.
Attachments
NOVA1.jpg
NOVA1.jpg (22.42 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
NOVA21.jpg
NOVA21.jpg (25.27 KiB) Viewed 4099 times

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Rockstar » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:22 am

This kite has some sort of a bridle?
Is it complicated?

I see a new Cabrinha something similar. What are the advantages of adding these extra lines?

frederics
Medium Poster

Postby frederics » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:52 am

Bridles allows to have a total depower and keep the kite turning well in high and low end. This seems incredible. Compare to the cabrinha, I don't know because I didn't try it, it seems that cabrinah make same design than on the takoon video of http://www.ocean2air.co.za/video/nova.mpg, but what I tried was different. Bar was as simple as a regular kite.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:13 am

is there much difference in the shape on the kite when it's flying and when it's just inflated.

i know they are different kites, but the cabrinha looks much flatter when being held up.

frederics
Medium Poster

Postby frederics » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:35 am

"is there much difference in the shape on the kite when it's flying and when it's just inflated.

i know they are different kites, but the cabrinha looks much flatter when being held up. "

In fact I didn't notice a lot of difference on shape when the kite is standing on the beach and when I rode it. From the cabrinah pics, the shape seems flatter, but , honestly I didn't see the cabrinah in the air. The shape of the nova is a little flat on its center and I noted a shape more curved on the tips. The guy says it helps for turning speed and relauching.
I tried the kite in gusty condition and the kite didn't change a lot its shape, the feeling was the same in low and high end.

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:46 pm

hi frederics

thanx for sharing your experiences with us :thumb:

can you tell something more about the differences in the feel of the kite compared to the scoop 11.5?

what about hangtime? is it as good? high of jumps? turning speed? is the feeling of power development as soft as with the scoop? did you have to adjust a lot compared to the scoop? what do you think about the kite for waveriding? is the depower even bigger?

regards

mede

fly62
Medium Poster

Postby fly62 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:43 am

have you got more pics???

the nova have the onepump??

Return to “Reviews”